From the Sublime to the Epic

Castellrotto Travel Blog

Views like this are everywhere

I decided upon a slightly more leisurely start, picking up skis from the Seceda and heading across to the Funivia cable lift, I stopped at Bar Haiti for a latte machiatto, to refresh me during the portage and then continued on my way.  Although the English speaking Polish guests could have eased this for me, as they left the same time as me, obviously heading in the same direction, and yet did not offer me a lift in their car.  Maybe it is just me, but I would never have even considered doing that.

Skiing in the Alpe di Suisi or Seiser Alm region the conditions were surprisingly good, with some good snow.  This can probably be attributed to the variable weather conditions, snow, rain, sleet, sun today we had just about everything and it remained cold, so the snow didn’t melt nearly as quickly.

This area is a little more isolated and the lift system is not the easiest to comprehend, when I had skied across to the far side, returning to Ortisei via the system didn’t look straight forward at all, and so it was to prove.  One sign pointed to taking a particular cable car down, which despite my instincts telling me went entirely in the opposite direction I duly obeyed.  I suppose I could have asked a chairlift operator, but hey I’m a guy, what do you expect? I considered that maybe it had a connecting station that traversed the ridge and ended up in the other valley.  In the worst case scenario I could just catch a bus back to Ortisei, the phrase ‘the best laid plans ‘ comes to mind ....................

Sure enough at the bottom was a bus station, and there was a bus stop for Ortisei, and even a bus waiting there, but there was not any sign of a driver or any timetable.  I decided to have a drink in the obligatory nearby bar and keep an eye out for any driver appearing.  Half an hour later, still without any sign of a driver, so I asked the driver of another bus what time the relevant bus to Ortisei left, now considering it was only about 4.30 pm I was a little perplexed to be told 6 pm.

Still it was a pleasant enough afternoon,  the sun had appeared and seemed determined to stay out, so I got another drink and sat out in the sun to wait.  6pm came and went, no driver and no sign of the bus moving, so I enquired of yet another driver what time the Ortisei bus departed.  When he told me that there wasn’t a bus to Ortisei from this station, I cannot repeat my reply, but I did speak in English so as not offend him!  So I caught a shuttle bus into the station at Castellrotto, only to find out that the last bus to Ortisei departed at 5.58 pm, it was now 6.25 pm, the usually fresh and crisp air was now also a little blue.

I eventually had to call a local taxi company which had the number displayed on a board and pay another extortionate taxi fare to get back to the town.  Arriving back at around 7.15pm I called in on my Punjabi friend at the pizza shop and headed back to the Pension for a well earned leisurely shower, which was only slightly marred by the shower curtain, which does not quite fit all the way around, and usually results in a substantial puddle of water forming on the floor.

photo by: Real_PeaceWarrior