Chilling Out AS (After Skiing)

Ortisei Travel Blog

Do you remember this view a few days ago?

There was not any need to get up too early today and enjoyed a leisurely if predictable breakfast.  The Italian groups had already departed by the time I arrived, but both of the German couples were still around.  The younger couple left quite soon as I believe they were hoping to complete the Sella Ronda today.  Both couples are very pleasant and happy to chat and when I struggle with my rusty German they are more than happy to converse in English.  In fact they are probably a little too keen to speak English as I appreciate the chance to improve my language skills whenever I can.  It is just a little unfortunate that I have learnt the value of these at this stage of my life and not when I should have learnt them, when I was a child.

I had a bit of a chat with the remaining couple, who were from München, Bayern (Munich, Bavaria) and were returning home today, as it was only a short three day break for them.  The granddaughter of my hostess was off school today in preparation for Easter, and it appears she had to work for her breakfast, she busily cleared the tables as I munched through my muesli with yoghurt and the stuff you put on rolls.  The hostess usually has these cleared almost immediately upon the guests leaving the table, so she obviously left them for her to clear away today.

I took my laptop to Bar Haiti, and then later the Seceda Bar and typed up my entry for you all to share, either I am very conscientious or a bit sadistic, you can decide.  I also tried that strange orange drink I mentioned earlier, do you remember it?  Wake up at the back, there maybe questions later!  It is called an Aperol Spritze, and in Gardena is usually served with Prosecco providing the spritze.  It is quite enjoyable, very refreshing and served with crisps.  I had wondered why some people were served crisps and pretzels at the table, when I was never served any, so two mysteries solved today.

I had plenty of coffee in various formats, latte machiatto, eiscaffe and espresso doppia, I may have to stay up late tonight as it is unlikely I will be able to sleep for many an hour.  Whilst at the Seceda Bar I glanced at the menu and it had some quite tempting dishes and all very reasonable.  I had intended to go to a restaurant that I passed each day on the way into town, which had a pretty good menu and again seemed quite reasonable;  for reasonable read cheap.  In the end I ordered a Tagiatelle Verdi dish served with chopped bacon, in a creamy sauce, washed down with a drop of a local Süd Tiroler wine or two and I enjoyed a feast fit for a king, admittedly a rather poor, easily pleased king, but I left happy.

I wanted to get back to the guesthouse as I knew that I was able to watch one of the Champions League quarter-finals.  It wasn’t the game I really wanted to see as that involved two English teams, Liverpool and Chelsea, but as I was watching it on a German television channel, I would have to excuse them showing the Bayern München versus Barcelona game.  It was a good game, especially the first half, although my German friends might not be in such a good mood in the morning, as they were soundly thrashed four nil and the last of the German teams are probably heading out of the competition.  It is also probably just as well the couple from that particular city have already departed!

Do you remember this view a few da…
Do you remember this view a few d…
photo by: Real_PeaceWarrior