Going to Berlin

Leuven Travel Blog

I had already lost 30 min on my GPS time when I reached Leuven

I had hoped that I had the possibility to leave my work at noon but my meeting had dragged out so it had become 16pm before I could leave the city centre and the garage where I was parked. Leaving Brussels at 16pm on a Friday is not the best time if you want to be somewhere fast. I turned on my GPS and it started that I would arrive in Berlin at 22pm but that would be in my dreams. Already when I passed Leuven I had lost more than 30 minutes on that plan and I had a lot of large German cities in front of me.

The first 200-300 km turned out to be a long queue more or less at least it felt like it every time my friends called me and said that they were sitting outside in the sun at some square enjoying their beers. Just before Hannover the traffic became much lighter and I could put the pedal to the metal, so to speak. I was from that point driving mostly around 200km/h which was just following the traffic in the outer lane. At one point I was following a police car for more than 50 km at speeds of 200-210 km/h and it made me gain some of the time back I had lost on the first half of the trip.

I drove in to Berlin 15 min to 11pm and parked in front of the hotel 15 minutes later. I quickly checked in and called my friends to find out where they were hanging out. They wanted to meet me at Hackescher Markt so I grabbed a taxi to get there. The taxi driver was very talkative and I really had to dig back in the back of my head to find my German vocabulary again, but I managed. He told me he was born in Jutland, Denmark during the war where all pregnant women and small children were sent in order to protect then from the allied attack of Berlin. Well he also said that the attack was justified and the Germans were world champions in forgetting the past. We had a nice chat and I finally reached the S-Bahn station where I was supposed to meet my friends.

We started at an outdoor bar just next to the square and the train station. I was very buff and quickly ordered Weiss beer for all of us but I could see that they had a hard time with them. They had just finished an enormous Indian meal and were all completely full and wanted to switch to shots. We stayed the whole night in the area and visited a lot or bars and clubs.

I had already lost 30 min on my GP…
I had already lost 30 min on my G…
Leuven