Quaint SAGADA!

Sagada Travel Blog

Early in the day, (5:30) i have to be on my way to the hotel of Agnes and Joel. The three of us are going together to Sagada on board ZATie, the ever reliable Honda City of Agnes (can you believe it, a traditional car traversing the landslide-filled mount Polis). The "highway" if you can call it that is pepperred with landslides caused by rains in the past days. What made matters worse is the on-going road improvements. With gorges and ravines on either side, the trip was truly a scare...if you come to think of it. With no sign of human life for endless distance, i can't help but expect for the worst.

My mind was however totally transformed into another dimension as the mountains exhibited truly breathtaking views.
With blankets of clouds almost  at my fingertips and pine trees covering the mountains, i can't help myself from taking pictures. The suposed scary trip ended up to be a feasting of the eyes on the beauty of mother nature i never expected existed in my very country!

We finally reached Sagada at around 9:00 in the morning. We found oursleves a place to stay and immediately went to attend to our grumbling tummies. After a hearty meal (they serve HUGE servings at Yoghurt House) we went straight to the Sagada Genuine Travel Guides Association just a few steps form Yoghurt House. We arranged for a tour for the rest of the day.

First stop is the MUST-SEE Sumaguing Cave. I have heared so much about it from people who have been here but i don't really set expectations in my travels, so i just came knowing that i will have to enjoy the experience.
The famed cave never failed to amaze me. I never thought i'd see truly spectacular rock formations down below. Yes, i have to force my way through really narrow passageways, rapel down some parts, and dip into freezing water but the it's an experience i want to do again and again. Next stop was the Burial Cave. Its' where the Sagadan animist ancestors bury their dead. It's a pity that their are just a few left on the cave entrance of the evedence if an endemic practice of this group of people. According to one an elderly local i talked to, the cave entrance used to be filled with wooden coffins  but started disappearing in the 1980's.

Off we went to the echo valley where we saw some hanging coffins and the underground river. We also passed by the Anglecan church, a landmark in town. The edifice is built by the american missionaries in 1904. No wonder the locals are reaaly adept at English, they have Americans for teachers until the 1980's.

Sagada is one quaint place ideal for relaxation and for people who look for peace and quite.

marynel17 says:
WOW! amazing pics :)
Posted on: Mar 03, 2010
geoland says:
read it... thanks. :-)
Posted on: Apr 19, 2009
geoland says:
i am happy to know that you,though away for so looonnngggg has remained truly proud of your roots! I'd love to read about your blogs on Sagada! can i have the link please?
Posted on: Apr 19, 2009