Burgers Zoo

Arnhem Travel Blog

Penguins!

Burgers Zoo, as the name suggests, is a zoo in the Netherlands. It's also known as the Bush. The actual zoo was an innitiative of a man who collected bird and opend it up to the audience in Arnhem in 1913. Ten years later it turned into a zoo.

It has different areas, based on the living environments of some animals.

Burgers Safari
In this part you walk over an area with a bridge over it. You see all kinds of animals you would see in Africa. Like the Giraff, Lions etc. It looks beautifull. Unfortunately for us it was a bit misty and the animals were far away. That way we couldn't really see them that well which was of course a pity.

Burgers Bush
The bush is set up as a tropical rainforest.

And oh my gosh is it hot in there. When we went there it wasn't warm at all (winter and all), but in there it felt like we were somewhere else completely. It looked gorgeous inside too, with all the plants. But also the wildlife. The birds flap freely and if you aren't careful you might step on their feathers. However the place is so full with plants that it is hard to spot some animals like the bats or the leguans. Plus it is so hot in there, you wanna run right out at one point.

Burgers Mangrove
This one isn't as much about the animals as it is about the plants. Of course as an animal lover (in my case very much so) the plants really don't interest you. Which makes this one not so impressive as the others. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a mangrove but it just misses that allure the others do have in my opinion.

Most you see there are some mangrove bird and a mangrove monkey.

Burgers Desert
This one looks amazing though it doesn't feel hot like a real desert (honestly I've never been in a desert so I have to go on what others say). It has been made beautifully. Too bad is though that you can only see the daytime animals here like lynx and lizzards. Night time animals (owls, snakes) are sleeping and in most cases hidden away which makes some part of it less attractive to the visitors.

Burgers Ocean
I loved this one, with all the gorgeous fishes and even sharkes that you can see swimming makes this one my favourite. Unfortunately, with the glass, you can't really take pictures. Oh well that will just make you visit it again and again.

Burgers Rimba
This one is made for the 95th aniversary of the zoo and is again a tropical rainforest, only this time with more Asian animals like panthers, maleisyan bears (like those circus bears, one of my favourite animals out of the zoo) and deers.

Penguins!
Me and the Penguins from side view…
Me and the Penguins from side vie…
Elephant