Happy Birthday, Your Highness!

Reine Travel Blog

King Harald V.

Today we made a trip to the south of the Lofoten.

Besides we paused in Reine, where we should have an absolutely unexpected meeting with a few members of royal families from all over Europe. What a welcome surprise indeed!
When we came to Reine there were crowds of people all over the place - hmmm, of course, we thought these happy people were just enjoying a colourful feast but some minutes and a huge amount of candy floss later I heard some guys talking about the upcoming appearance of the Norwegian queen and king. Pardon me? … I wasn’t that surprised that my grandparents thought too much candy floss might have blocked my ears but I totally insisted on my version!!
Nothing happened for more than half an hour and my grandparents tried to leave more than once or twice but I told them I would be right in the end!

So, after we and many excited citizens had waited for another eternity the most unexpected thing ever happened: the Norwegian King Harald and Queen Sonja came along the street followed by a few more European royals.

Royal yachts in the distance

The reason for this event was pretty simple: the 60th birthday of King Harald! Happy Birthday! Your Highness was just having a relaxing lunch in a

local restaurant with some friends - seemed to be quite normal expect for the fact that Harald V. has been the head of state and royals from many European countries accompanied him.

This meeting was a totally cool experience because who would have thought of such a neat surprise? All the people around us waved, sent their love and took photos while King Harald smiled, waved back and entered the waiting bus.

What a great day: meeting some of the European royals just by accident and having my grandparents convinced that I was really good at being persistent! Guess they owed me more than candy floss now ;-)

kristinasub says:
wow, that was really unexpected meeting, memory for lifetime
Posted on: Apr 20, 2009