Siem Reap is HOTTT!

Siem Reap Travel Blog

pub street by day

Why is Siem Reap very, very, very HOTT?

Well aside from the obvious scorching weather at about 33 degrees, when you see the dusty road create a mirage from a distance, I have several other reasons why Siem Reap, Cambodia e Molto Caldo!

We arrived in hot SR Monday afternoon from the heart-breaking, nerve-wracking, mind-boggling, life-changing Phnom Penh.. the Genocide Museum-Toul Seng and the Killing Fields of the Khmer Rouge era still played bloody, gorry memories in my head (but I shall talk about it in detail on another post-this is after all, about Siem Reap).  Not to mention, we were mighty exhausted from the back-breaking, energy-pumping, 7-hour journey by bus - not for the faint hearted, but quite exciting.

pub street

Upon our arrival at Ei8ht rooms guesthouse - which promotes itself as gay-travel friendly, btw - our gay, and friendly front desk person informed us that Cambodia has temporarily closed its border to Thailand because of the political unrest.. Alas... a costly, last minute change in plans. We had to cancel all our connecting flights from bangkok and get new ones from Siem Reap.. the best option was to leave on 16 April. Thus prolonging our supposed 18-hour stay to a three-night escapade. Well, we did mention upon seeing the beautiful streets that we wanted to spend more time there.. so be careful what you wish for..

So going back to my point, the first reason why Siem Reap is uber hot. The Ankor Wat! Needless to say, this is really breath-taking. No pictures, words nor videos can do justice to how beautiful it could really be.

It is simply amazing! A complex of 5 magnanimous temples/ruins that would take at least a full day, a trusty tuktuk and a gallon of bottled water to explore. Like a huge theme park of ancient history waiting to be unravelled. While there, try to visit the sunset and never miss the sunrise! Hell, we got up at 4am to be there, and it was all worth it. Such artistry and years of culture all rolled into one amazing experience

Next, we tried to look for a better alternative to the ei8ht rooms. I mean, we're not exactly gay and we wanted accommodation with a pool. So shopping around, we found Ancient Ankor, w/ free internet and a really salty, salt water pool. Upon our arrival after our trek at the Ankor Wat, 4 extremely exhausted and petite girls alighted the tuktuk with exaggeratedly heavy luggages and was placed on the third floor - what do you expect.

. no elevators...

So while desperately dragging our luggages up, a HOT, 25-year-old, 6-ft-something Italiano with a grungy, sexy appeal offered: (in the sexiest italian accent possible) Do you girrrls need help with that?

And he did, he carried our luggages up with such ease - like Superman! haha so where are you from? Italy. Oooohhhhh! Just my luck. Thank you Italian classes in college! Come si chiama? Mi chiama Stefano. His voice resonates like, like, I can't describe it.. but it's blazing hot! But wait there's more. Stefano is travelling from Australia with 4 of his buddies, Alessandro also from Italia, Hezio from Brasil, Alvaro from Chile and Yohei from Japan.. and yes, the guys are as hot as their names are!

Another thing, Siem Reap is soo hot (literally) that everybody is just dressing down tank tops and flip flops.

Yes, there were a lot of hung-low boardshorts and a peek at colorful boxer shorts from gorgeous guys who look like they just flew in from Bali or Luang Prabang. No need to dress up as we found out the hard way... haha! What about eating in a side walk food stall with a menu costing less than 1 US$ in full make up?!! So for the next days, we were just in tank tops and short dresses, the only way to go!

And perhaps, the best reason why Siem Reap is so hot to a 24-year old, party-loving female is the ANKOR WHAT? - the bar in Pub Street. It is owned by an Euro-Indian who grew up in London, Charlie, who's the coolest guy in the world. The drinks were fair-priced and creative, the crowd was totally hip, I think we were the only south-east asians there, there were no prostitutes and I would like to bet that 99% of the patrons are foreigners.

Ankor beer at 50 cents! :)
The music was great, and did I mention that the crowd was hip?! haha

So there.. it exceeded all my expectations about Cambodia, I did mention we only intended to stay for 18 hours right? Although we ditched our Bangkok leg of our trip, the 3 oh-so-fabulous nights we spent there was worth every dollar (yes, transactions were made in USD). I would like to go back again soon, but I'll probably scrap the Saigon and Phnom Penh adventure and head straight for the creme de la creme.

tip box
Cambodian Pup
Cambodian Pup
w/ Ankor Coffee
w/ Ankor Coffee
James Bond and his cambodian baby
"James Bond" and his cambodian baby
Ankor Wat - Bas Reliefs
Ankor Wat - Bas Reliefs
Angkor Wat - ceiling
Angkor Wat - ceiling
Elephant outside Bayon Temple
Elephant outside Bayon Temple
Ta Phrom Ruins
Ta Phrom Ruins - making like Lara …
Ta Phrom Ruins - making like Lara…
Bas Relief - Angkor Wat