Zip-lining

Wailea Travel Blog

Lisa really wanted to go zip-lining so we booked this activity well in advance of our trip. This turned out to be a good call, because apparently zip-lining is one of the most popular activities on Maui, and slots fill up fast.

We went with a company called Eco Adventures, and choose the more expensive Kaanapali Skyline Adventure tour in West Maui. I'm don't like heights, so the thought of gliding down some cable that, for all I knew, could conceivably snap at any moment and send me flailing to a crater below, didn't sound like a great time. But, I also didn't want to just hike with everyone and watch everyone else experiencing amazing, life-changing thrills, so I decided to just try it out and conquer my fears.

Unfortunately, due to high winds, half of the 8 ziplines were closed for our session. The first four ziplines were open for business, though, and Lisa was the first one to go. She jumped off the platform with no hesitation at all and screamed her way excitedly across to the other side. I still wasn't too comfortable about going, but I was next and there were fearless little kids behind me waiting to go, and I didn't want to come across as a complete wuss, so I hooked in and jumped off the platform.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it turned out that the sensation of zip-lining wasn't too crazy after all. It was fun, no doubt, but it wasn't as much of a life-threatening, visceral thrill as I had imagined. You kind of just hold on to the strap, lean back, and glide across. Overall, it's seemed very safe and effortless, and this is coming from someone who typically gets naseous when looking down from a tall building. Once the initial thrill of the first jump wore off the successive jumps weren't as exciting. So I'd rank zip-lining as one of those things you can be happy with doing only once in your lifetime ;)

vodkaphix says:
I quote "I still wasn't too comfortable about going, but I was next and there were fearless little kids behind me waiting to go, and I didn't want to come across as a complete wuss, so I hooked in and jumped off the platform". End quote..... Well Done!! Lol.
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009
Africancrab says:
Nice review :)
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
jaeden says:
I wish I could've seen Lisa's face! And yours. And the kids behind you hahaha
Posted on: Apr 02, 2009
Wailea Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Beautiful view, bland food, worse service
Mala is a snazzy restaurant located in a beautiful, partly outdoor setting, in the Marriott. However, it seems like one of those restaurants that are … read entire review
Wailea