Snorkeling at Ahihi Keanau Reserve

Wailea Travel Blog

We rented some snorkeling gear from Boss Frogs and went snorkeling at Ahihi Keanau Reserve. Ahihi is a few miles south of Wailea, past Big Beach. There is a small, rocky cove across from some houses that is perfect for snorkeling. There are fish everywhere, even in shin-deep water right next to the rocky shore.

Lisa was a bit nervous about snorkeling since she doesn't like breathing through a snorkel and looking underwater, but she was able to conquer her fear!!! with the help of iron determination and a fantastic new snorkel technology that makes it almost impossible to accidentally inhale water. Originally, she said she was only going to stay in the knee deep water, but within a few minutes she was swimming out almost past the cove, and I was struggling to keep up!

I'd highly recommend this place for snorkeling, mainly because of the abundance of fish and the lack of crowds. I think there were only 3-4 other snorkelers out the entire time we were there.

The restaurants in Maui are all quite expensive, but unfortunately this does not always translate to good food or service (see previous review), so tonight we ended up making tacos, which were delicious! I think that food is probably the biggest expense in Maui, and we've settled into a pattern of making dinner every other night, just to save on costs (and pounds). We also brought oatmeal and dried fruit to eat for breakfast, which is what we both normally eat at home anyway.

After dinner, we watched "Lost in Translation", which Lisa hadn't seen, but is one of my favorite movies of all time!
vodkaphix says:
Yummy! My mouth is Watering!!!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2009
vances says:
If you wanna score an excellent breakfast at a reasonable cost, head to Tasty Crust in Wailuku! Banana pancakes...MMMMMMMMMM...

Posted on: Apr 01, 2009
mellemel8 says:
i did the same thing. we brought snacks and oatmeal. brought ground meat for our spaggatti and veggies. all i we ate was plenty of fish.
Posted on: Apr 01, 2009