First day in Maui: Farmer's Market, Settling In

Wailea Travel Blog

The plane flight from LAX to Maui was pleasantly uneventful. We flew on American Airlines. Normally I'm not a fan of of AA, as I can't remember the last time I've had an on time flight with them or more than the minimum amount of customer service, but maybe there is something about the "Aloha Spirit" on the Maui route, because everything went relatively smoothly, and our flight even arrived half an hour early because of favorable tail-winds. The only hitch was that it cost $15 each for us to check-in our bags, the first time I've run into this practice.

While we were waiting at the airport in LAX I looked around the bookstore, browsing for something to read on the flight and in Maui. Usually, the airport bookstores only carry a slim selection of the best-selling books, but this one had a whole shelf dedicated to sci-fi novels. Not only that, but one of the workers was a science fiction expert, and had written personal recommendations for many of the books, taped on to the shelves. I asked him for a recommendation and he told me about a book called Thirteen by Richard Morgan. It's a gritty futuristic novel about genetically altered humans and I've been hooked on it since the plane ride.

Anyway, back to Maui. We landed and got a free airport pick-up from Maui Car Rentals, a local car rental shop. When traveling through Turkey with Phil, he mentioned that the local car rental places were all significantly cheaper than any of the more well-known chains, and that it was easier to bargain down to get better deals. The same thing applied to car rentals in Maui, and we were able to get a rental car for about $60 less than any of the big rental car agencies by going local. Even better, I got to request a Toyota Echo, a ride identical to my muscle car back home.

When you look at a driving map of Maui, everything looks spread out, but in reality the island is quite small, and it only takes about an hour to drive from Wailea (near the Southwest end) to Honolua Bay (on the Northwest corner). Unfortunately, it's only a one lane highway in most places, and some people drive very, very, very slowly.

On our way from the airport to the condo we were staying at in Wailea, we stopped at a Farmer's Market in Kihei. Lisa and I like going to farmer's markets in Los Angeles, and we were expecting a bountiful harvest of exotic vegetables and alien looking local fruits from Maui. Sadly, there wasn't anything too crazy or exotic looking, and the most unusual thing we saw was a papaya. Nevertheless, we picked up a bunch of fruit and vegetables to eat at home.

We didn't do much the rest of the day as we were a bit jet-lagged, but we did muster enough energy up to walk around the shops at Wailea. The shops are an outdoor mall with a lot of fancy stores, and a lot of the people there were immaculately dressed, like they had just stepped out of the pages of a fashion catalog. It wasn't pretentious, though, and it was fun to people watch while walking around the mall.

ahtibat17 says:
Maui - the one island I didn't get to visit while in Hawaii, and reading your blog makes me want to go! :D
Posted on: Jan 05, 2010
globalodyssey says:
i rented from "word of mouth" rentacar, terrific, even a nice tshirt...but this was 20 years ago on my honeymoon,then camped our way around the island...magnificent
Posted on: Jun 24, 2009
mellemel8 says:
if you go to the local or side road markets. you will see dragon fruit and fresh sugar cane :)
Posted on: Apr 01, 2009