A visit to Providence

Providence Travel Blog

While I was living in Boston last year, one of my friends, Shane, was living in Providence, Rhode Island, right around the corner from Brown University. A few of my friends and I visited Shane for a weekend, where we sampled Providence's excellent night life! This was my second time in Providence, I also visited it the year before, when I attended The Killers' concert!

I think the nightclub we went to was called Fish Club. It was a decent club, quite busy, plenty of underagers I'd say (myself included at the time)! There was an excellent buzz around the area in general, with plenty of parties. We crashed in Shane's house for the night and the following morning we got up and headed into downtown Providence, hoping to find a bar showing a Munster rugby match that was on.
We weren't able to find one, in fact one Irish pub was just opening up and when we asked the waitress if they had the rugby she responded: "What's rugby?" Oh well, Munster won that match, and went on to win the final too!

We were very hungover from the night before, but managed to have a bite to eat in the Cheesecake Factory in Providence Mall. The mall was cool, even bigger than Cambridgeside Galleria which we thought was gigantic! It has all the stores you'd expect a megasized American mall to have, from the Abercrombie, Hollister and American Eagle, to Discovery Channel, Apple, etc. etc. etc. We found some amusing Fidelity advertisements, with random things about IRA on them. Of course to Americans they would have read IRA as Individual Retirement Account, but us Irish would read it as Irish Republican Army. The IRA have a huge involvement in the history of conflict in Northern Ireland, and when we see signs like "Cure for the common IRA" and "Show your IRA some TLC" it is very funny! :)
thumbelina881 says:
My friend's boyfriend lives in Providence but I've yet to make it out there yet. Sounds like you had a good time! ~ Amy
Posted on: May 10, 2007