Giant Village - Downtown LA

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Giant Village July '06
(Sorry for the blurry photos, they were taken with my camera phone in the dark.)

By far one of the coolest events I've ever been to, even if I'm not that fond of raves. Funny, considering I've been to dozens of them during college. Apparently GIANT usually occurs on New Year's Eve, but I think they've started having these huge parties twice a year. I think the summer edition is hands down the best, due to the cool energy and the sultry heat. There's nothing that beats hanging out under the tall buildings of downtown LA with a few thousand happy strangers milling around, unpretentious and openhearted.

They blocked off the streets within a 4 block perimeter and turned the area around the Standard downtown into a huge outdoor rave in the middle of a sweltery, romantic night.
Giant Village July '06
It was amazing, energetic, and so much fun! I think we went from 10pm to 4:30am, there were incredible DJ's like Sasha & Digweed, Paul Oakenfold (who spun for something like 4 hours), and Deep Dish. It was a bit too hot for people to get as crazily dressed up as they usually do, but the nice, friendly vibe that you find at raves was totally there.

Bring wads of cash if you go to this years' GIANT though, because there is no free water and ended up costing $7 a bottle. Lots of food is available too, though the quality was questionable. Huge rows of super-clean luxury port-a-potties were available on the premises though, as there were no ins-and-outs. There was of course a VIP section with.. well I suppose free food and drink? =)