Catalina

Long Beach Travel Blog

The Catalina Casino
A good friend went all out on her birthday and we visited Catalina (for many of us it was the first time). And considering I threw up on the way there and on the way back, it'll be my last time =)

Beautiful little island with steep hills and golf carts as the primary means of transportation. Also home to some of the best breakfast places around. Or maybe it's just that good, salty air that stirs up an appetite for breakfast food! You know, just like hangovers.

It's funny to see schools and stores that don't cater to just the tourists here. It's like an isolated village that's incredibly well off, but not like San Marino or something in a more Caribbean setting. There's also a wonderful but tiny museum near the Casino that documents the history of Catalina and its major sections such as Avalon.

Most disappointingly, the Casino isn't the kind where you gamble..
jenn79 says:
Precisely!! I was half-joking with my friend about splitting a helicopter ride back..
Posted on: Aug 04, 2008
lrecht says:
Hey Jenn - sorry to hear that the trip to Catalina was rough! Nepal is great and we are here another week or so and then off to Tibet. We promise you wont get seasick if you just visit coastal OC ;-)
Posted on: Jun 03, 2007
jenn79 says:
Haha, aww, it's totally fine, just no sealegs on this one.. =) Will I get to meet you at Moonshadows next month??
Posted on: Apr 16, 2007
The Catalina Casino
Our ferry type thing almost dockin…
Our ferry type thing almost docki…
From from a hill.