work before play

Kingsport Travel Blog

my first taste of sweet tea!

Alyssa had to work today so I tagged along.  We went out for lunch and I had my first taste of sweet tea.  Yum!  We don't have that back home.  After lunch it was back to work.  It was a really nice, warm, sunny day so I didn't mind being outside with her.  She was groundwater sampling out at the plant.  They were testing explosives for a while and it was scary when ever one exploded.  But we were safe.  The plant has a lot of security and you need to wear a badge so you don't get arrested.  I had to borrow mine.

After work we went to Warrior's Path State Park.  It is a big park with lots of fun things including a large playground.  We played for awhile and then watched some little kids play soccer.

groundwater sampling with Alyssa
  The park is on a big lake and you can go boating and fishing on it.  We didn't have a boat or pole so we could only watch others.  We went over to Duck Island so we could walk around the island on the paved trail.  We passed some big kids playing basketball and a lot of people out walking.  The trail was a fitness trail so it had some fun activites you could do along the way like crossing monkey bars or walking on a balance beam.  I tried the beam but needed a little help to stay on.

After the park we stopped at the Fort Patrick Henry Dam.  This dam blocks the Holston river, creating a lake behind it.  There wasn't any water flowing over the dam and the river level was low.  We didn't stay long because there wasn't much to do there.

We drove to Exchange Place next.  This is an old farm site with historic buildings from the 1800s.  They used to exchange livestock here.  It is a living history museum which means it has people dressed in costume doing activities of that time.  It was closed, so we couldn't go in and there weren't any people to watch.  We did see some sheep though.

After that it was dinner and bed.  I hope we can do a few more fun things before I fly back to Wisconsin.

at the lake