Korean War Memorial & Veteran's Cemetery

Santa Nella Travel Blog

As we continued our drive back up to Sacto, we stopped off in Santa Nella for a quick bite to eat.  As we were exiting the freeway, I spotted a sign I've never noticed in all my road trips back and forth - Korean War Memorial this exit.  Huh?  We decided to take a little side trip and find it.  About a couple miles off the main road is this beautiful cemetery belonging to the Dept of Veteran Affairs.  Neither of us had any idea this cemetery existed in the middle of a pretty unpopulated area.

It was very close to dusk but the gate was open so we did a quick drive through.  The grounds are beautiful and there is a lot of extra space for future interments.

There were many that were recently buried given the large areas of land with just dirt and new headstones.  We stopped to look a few and a number of the people did not die recently so they must have been transferred here or perhaps their bodies recently recovered, which is even more sad.

We walked the Memorial path and stopped to take some more pictures at the reflection pond and by then, the sun had disappeared, so we figured we better head out.  I found the Korean War Memorial and took a few more pictures and we hopped in the car.  On the drive out is a long path with newly planted trees.  There is a sign which indicates each tree stands for one of our US submarines that was lost.  Talk about moving.

After we exited the cemetery itself, we had seen a lot of cows to the right and decided to stop and take a few more pictures.  I actually have a video while Mom is trying to "moo" to the cows, not realizing I am recording.  It's pretty hysterical so I hope she won't kill me if I get it uploaded to YouTube and put on here! :D  I exited the vehicle to try and get some closer pics and as I tried over my own two feet, I scared all the cows and they went running away!  We couldn't stop laughing!  And here Melissa (Melissa919) says cows don't run....oh wait girly, I have a video for you! LOL

Santa Nella