Baltimore - A Visit to Charm City Cakes and an Unexpected Tour of the Ghetto!

Baltimore Travel Blog

I had the address for Charm City Cakes and wanted to at least do a drive by and get a picture of the outside since I know you can't go in.  For those not in the know...Charm City Cakes is owned by Duff Goldman who has a show, Ace of Cakes, on Food Network.  I was a big fan of Duff prior to his FN show debut.  He used to be a fairly regular participant on the Food Network Challenge episodes where he used to seemingly blow things up! LOL.

Anyways, we apparently made a wrong turn and somehow ended up in the worst part of town I have ever seen.  Most of the buildings were boarded up and it was actually pretty scary in some parts.  Brett was practically hyperventilating which didn't help! Eventually, we got out of this area and found our way back where we were supposed to be and to Charm City Cakes.

There were some girls on the corner who were laughing that we were taking pics...oh well!  Soon, two young guys walked out of the shop and then I believe it was Mary Alice who walked out next and headed down the street.  I was so in awe...finally I got to see where my idol's cakes are made.  *Pitter Patter*.  Now, if only he can make our wedding cake next life will be complete! :D

After that excing venture we headed towards the airport and our hotel.  We checked in and both were a little tired so we opted to eat at the hotel's restaurant versus going out.  The food was surpisingly excellent and I actually wouldn't mind going back there again!

marksreynolds says:
Oh yes, lock the doors, roll up the windows and DO NOT make eye contact with anyone in those parts of town. I've been to Baltimore hundreds of times, and still get lost on occasion. Glad you found your way to CCC! Sorry we couldn't meet up during your visit, but maybe next time :) You have to come to Annapolis and hang out with us!
Posted on: Apr 20, 2009