Time to wander and Grand Central Terminal

New York Travel Blog

Time square by day

I decided to do a little exploring on my own today seen as the others went off to the MET and I'm not one for museums (well I have to be in the mood, and I wasn't). We arranged to meet up for lunch at Grand Central Terminal so I headed up to Time Square.

It is a completely different place by day, it's a great place to just wander around. I also did a bit of shopping too, would have been rude not too!

I then stumbled upon New York's Public Library, unfortunately the front was cover with scaffolding but it was a beautiful building all the same.

Wildlife in the park
Just to the side was a small garden, Bryant park I think. I got a coffee and settled in for a good bit of people watching. There were some blokes playing boules and chess and it was a completely different side to the mad touristy New York.

I wandered down to Grand Central Terminal all relaxed from my morning of mostly sitting and met up with the others. The station is fantastic, a huge concourse with stars and zodiac signs on the ceiling which branches into passages. Make sure you venture downstairs to the dining concourse, it's a thrive of activity. Plus near here is the whispering gallery, it's near the oyster bar & Restaurant, the acoustics of the low ceramic arches mean you can stand in opposite corners of the large arched entryway and whisper to each other but it will sound as if you are right next to each other, brilliant!

This was our last night in New York, can't believe it had gone so quickly. The parents went off for another fancy meal but running low on funds the three of us decided it was time for a Burrito. We wandered down Bleecker street and found Burritoville at the bottom, a small fast food place, but it was an experience. We all ordered our food and sat down to enjoy the free nacho's and dips, with it being free we piled our plates high with what we thought was guacamole, WRONG! It was green salsa and hot hot hot! So funny we were crying, or was that the salsa?? Anyway food was great especially seen as it cost about $3 each. Afterwards we went for a few drinks which was hard work, no one seemed to understand us, must be the Yorkshire accent! Great night though :)

Side view of the Public Library