Ma's big 50

New York Travel Blog

Well today was the big day, my mummy's 50th birthday. Being the fantastic children we are we popped out to get a cake (cup cakes for Magnolia Bakery) and flowers and presented them to the birthday girl.

After a leisurely morning, the plan for the day was left up to mum and that meant shopping! We explored West Village, there are loads of lovely little designer boutiques and shops around this area. All a little bit on the pricey side for me but was nice to look around. So off to 5th Avenue, shopping as a family is not really a fun event so we parted ways for most of this, Mum and Dad went of pressie shopping, Me and Emily did the usual - Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic, NBA Store and Gap and Adam did his own thing.

Nice day for a Birthday!
  After a good couple of hours we met up to see Dad's pressie to Mum, a stunning Tiffany ring, white gold and lots of diamonds. This then let to a discussion (some may say disagreement) on who get's in the will, needless to say I won being the eldest daughter :)

We hopped on the subway and headed to ground zero, not a lot to see as it was predominantly building works, but across the road was Century 21, my brothers idea of shopping heaven. It's like TK Max but bigger - designer clothes at up to 40% of the high street price. Downside you have to fight for your clothes, good fun though and we did get some bargains.

All spent up, it was time to head home and prepare for the main event of the day......dinner in a fancy pants restaurant, The River Cafe. All dressed up we took the subway to Brooklyn, the walk from the station down to the waterfront was really pretty, it was dusk and looking over to Manhattan was great, a completely different view of the city. The restaurant is actually under the bridge in a boat type thing moored up. What a place it was, possibly the poshest place I have ever been and had great views back over the river.

Flowers on the way in
Flowers on the way in
Special birthday pudding
Special birthday pudding
Ma and Pa
Ma and Pa
Street lights on the way home, ver…
Street lights on the way home, ve…
New York Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nothing Special
I may be being controversial but I really didn't see anything special about these cakes. We stopped just round the corner from this bakery and were… read entire review
New York Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Fantastic location
This restaurant is in a fantastic location, nestled underneath the Brooklyn Bridge actually on the river it looks over the New York skyline. This i… read entire review
New York