Visiting my father's grave in the village

Panyimur Travel Blog

After a day’s rest from my two day international travel from the US to Uganda, my Mum decided we should make the trip to the village (Panyimur) to visit my father's grave. My brother Jimmy was to accompany Mum and I: we took off on a whole days journey from Kampala headed for Panyimur, located in the district of Nebbi in North Eastern Uganda. Panyimur is the village where my father was born and raised until the age of 16 when he left for the city in pursuit of higher education. Nebbi district is divided into three counties: Padyere, Okoro and Jonam and has a population of a little over 450,000, who are predominantly Alur ethnic group.

Me & my uncle
Panyimur is in the county of Padyere and seats right on the shores of Lake Albert.  Alur is my mother tongue and is a classification of the major African grouping known as LUO (I wrote a bit about my language in my Uganda blog).

There is a small airstrip near Nebbi town which can be reached using commercial flights from Entebbe airport or of you charter a private plane for tourist purposes. There used to be an active railway link in the earlier years but it is no longer functional. The main mode of transportation to Nebbi is road service by many different buses that link the many part of the country. Nebbi is also located in the major war torn part of Uganda which has seen frequent disruptions by the almost 20 year war by the Lord’s Resistance Army: a ridiculous name almost blasphemous considering they slaughter children and take young boys for child soldiers.

My parternal aunts and brother Jimmy

Our journey to Panyimur was private, my girlfriend Agnes had arranged to have me use her car and driver for the duration of my stay: we took off very early morning with the mind to arrive early enough to visit Daddy’s grave and make the journey to Mum’s village ��" Parombo, which is also in Padyere county. Parombo is set on the hill over looking Lake Albert, almost a 37 degree climb from Panyimur. Our driver was a very pleasant, patient man who made haste with us knowing our mission. We had to return home to Kampala a day before the wedding. The road from Kampala was relatively good which gave us a good pass until we passed Karuma.

We arrived in Panyimur at a little after 4:00 p.m. East African Standard time and were greeted by my older sister-in-law who is more than just an in-law. We headed straight to Da’s grave where he had been buried two years earlier. I was grieve stricken because I was not able to attend the original burial due to financial hardships which made it hard to purchase a return ticket to Uganda when he died. My oldest uncle who is also the chief of the village joined us and we said a prayer. After the prayer, we visited with my uncle ��" Amulla and talked about my brother’s marriage arrangements, my uncle’s visit and standing in as father of the groom etc. My sister in-law made us dinner before we left at a little after 7:00 p.m. headed for Parombo.

Me & my uncle
My parternal aunts and brother Jim…
My parternal aunts and brother Ji…
My Uncle Amulla & brother Jimmy