Day trip to Antwerp

Antwerp Travel Blog

Cathedral

There are some towns in Europe that remind you why Europe can perhaps be a good place to live in, if not to visit. I would put Manchester and Liverpool in that list, and now, Anvers as well. The town as a whole has next to nothing, and it's only significance is the fact that they they are the diamond capital of the world, with business trumping even that of Amsterdam's.

I took a train, took about 40 minutes and was in the station by 10am. The station is grand though - looks like an old mansion, and so much sophisticated and advanced with fancy escalators, etc compared to the ones in Bruxelles. But the sad part about this town is that there wasn't really a whole lot to see or do. I walked to the city centre, again colourful but nothing else on offer, took some pictures and walked back peeking in various stores.

Grote Markt
I needed to buy a memory card so took the dullness of the town to spend some time card-hunting, not that I got anything out of it.

Near the station itself, as in, right across the road you have the Diamond neighbourhood, or Diamant Kwartier. It's a series of mum and pop kind of stores lining the road, many of them so secure that you have to buzz in to enter. From here, I went to the Diamond Museum which I must say, was kind of cool. It had a nice history of diamonds, and was really nice learning about the history about how it was first found and mined in South Africa.

It was 2pm but I was already dead bored. Perhaps it was the town, or perhaps it was just that mid-holiday fatigue I keep running into every now and then, but I wanted to just head back to Bruxelles. At least there was enough to walk around and see, not to mention I hadn't seen some places yet.... so caught the train and returned!

Adrian_Liston says:
I like Antwerp :) I'll put it down to the mid-holiday fatigue ;)
Posted on: May 14, 2009
YantiSoeparno says:
Dead bored? Perhaps cause you need a companion to explore the city :P
Me for example ;D
Posted on: May 12, 2009
Stadius/City Hall @ the Grote Markt
Stadius/City Hall @ the Grote Markt
A church courtyard nearby
A church courtyard nearby
Anvers - the town of trams!
Anvers - the town of trams!
The Diamant Kwartier
The Diamant Kwartier
The Railway station - yep, I said …
The Railway station - yep, I said…
The Diamond Museum