The second day

Moreni Travel Blog

My host Oana

30-03-2009, a new day has come. My first day at the GSIP Grupul Scolar High school. My host and i wake up at 8 o’clock. Because we have to be there at 9 o’clock. I dress up, eat my breakfast, brush my teeth, and i am on my way. It’s a 2 minutes walk so that’s not far. When i arrive there it’s very quite. But the people that do walk there just stares at me like i’m an alien.

The school looks nice. It’s a bright building with yellow walls. I have to sit at a table with a picture that resembles my country. Witch is (for me) a picture with a cow, tulips, wooden shoes, and a windmill.

I’am one of the first people to arrive. Because 15 minutes later my fellow students aren’t there yet. That’s not nice, and i don’t just go sitting with other people who i never had met before. So i just waited. But soon after that they came.

We started with a speech from the headmisstres, and then we introduced ourself. We were all a bit shy so it’s was for some really hard to talk loud, and stand up for all those new people. After that they explained the exercises to us, and then we made teams. I was in a team with 2 romanian people: Danny and someone i still can’t remember her name! 1 Swedish girl: Jessica (she’s great). 2 Polish people: Alicja, and Wiktor (their also great people!). 1 Italian guy: his name is Eduardo, he;s nice and very smart but very quite! And with my fellow Dutch friend Melek.

the lunch
We are making a letter, and a postcard. But because it was the first day, and everyone was a bit quite and not in the working mood, we just tryed to think of a lay-out for the postcard. In the end nobog but melek, I and jessica where working on it, so that was a bit frustrating. But tomorrow we will get them to work. Other groups were very fast, and had good ideas. Like that with many breaks (also a big lunch with french fries, chicken and pickles and pepper and bread) we worked on till 5 o’clock. After that we where didmissed, and i waited for Oana to pick me up. She was finished around 12 already, so she went home. In the meanwhile she went buying me water (because i didn’t wanted to drink the water from the pipes here). After school i went buying poststamps, and then i tryed internet on my computer. It isn’t wireless but at least it is internet!

Around 6 we ate dinner.

with all the students in a cafe
We had baked fries, and a chicken-thing (like a smokeworst). It was very nice. After dinner, we went to the park to wait for the others. Polish and swedish people already where there, but my fellow students where on the way. With some of the Italian people. With them we just walked around, and at the end went to one of the cafes. It was nice. But there where so many people. Jenny hadn’t ate at all so that was not so nice. My teacher had orderd a pizze for here. But afterwards here host must had been called by the teacher to explained that. It wasn’t fair, but she didn’t got anything to eat also. And then after a hour or something, people wanted to leave. I stayed at Jenny because otherwise she would be alone there. And in the end Jenny also wanted to go home, we waited with here on er hostdad, and we gethered with the people who already had left. Ioana the host of my friends brought us home, and we save and sound at home.
from the window
When i was leaving the cafe, the Polish girl from my group asked me if i wanted to stay, and why i didn’t was sitting and drinking with them. But i really needed to stay with Oana so i turned the request down.

I have seen al lot here already. I already know that Romanian people don’t know what strangers look like. And that they will staring at you till there eyes will pop out. The do no not any shame. They just keep looking no matter what you do! But they give you so many attention, but when you get close to them they are scared to hell. Like the time, a group of Romanian guys where staring at us all the time during one of our breaks. Sulima hated it, and just ran to the most straing guy, and pushed him besides her on the picture. But when she touched his arm he was almost running away! It was very weird. They do want your attention but if you give them, they will run away like scared little puppies. I don’t know about those Romanians they are a difficult population, it a bit difficult to know what they are thinking. Also it’s just a whole other world here, so that’s just logical that they are a whole other kind of people.

One of the school buildings