Firenze, Michelangelo's David and a Tuscan Feast

Florence Travel Blog

The City of Florence

Last night we arrived in Florence. We were bused into the city for dinner. The streets are pretty quiet at night even though there are young people drinking and smoking everywhere. A few were smoking a little more than cigarrettes too. We wanted to eat cheap, so we ended up finding a corner shop that had pizza. 2 individual pizzas folded in a napkin and 2 soda for 8 euro...not too bad. Then we sat on a wall to listen to a flute player. I believe I heard some Disney songs. It was a very peaceful night!

This morning we met a guide at the Academic Gallery to see Michaelangelo's David. He spent 20 minutes talking about the statue and we didn't even get to see the rest of the gallery.

You are not even allowed to take a picture of the statue, but I did anyway. (cuz I'm sneaky like that!) They just want you to spend money in the gift shop buying postcards of the statue. The guide also took us to the Duoma, a large dome church. I lost interest in the guide very early on but I took a lot of pictues as we walked through the city. We split up for lunch and I finally got some fries with lunch. We ate near the Piazza della Signoria. We had some free time before meeting back with the group so we checked out the Ponte Vecchio. Goodness I have never seen so much gold in my life! We took time to buy souvenirs from a little cart in the plaza and the man gave me a ripped 10 euro bill that he would not take back. I couldn't get anyone to take it. I tried to go to the bank and exchange it but the bank closed at 1:30.
This is ridiculous, what am I suppose to do with a bill that no one will take. (I ended up giving it to our tour bus driver as a tip. Sorry Anso) Our day in the city of Florence ended with a demonstration at the leather shop. I'm not interested in leather or leather items that costs hundreds of dollars. But I was interested in the jewelry store next door. And since they were offering a discount, I finally purchased a tri color gold bracelet (I had been looking for one). When people tell me how pretty it is, it's fun to respond "oh I picked this up in Florence Italy".

Tuscan Feast

Tonight is the Tuscan Feast! oh my god all the food! The location was lovely, even though it was dark out. We were greeted by an accodian player and glasses of sparkling red wine.

accordian and singing
Yum yum, I drank mine and mom's glass. Dinner started with a variety of appetizers, so we tried a little of most dishes. Normally I don't like (not just don't like, I depise raw tomatoes to the point that they make me want to vomit) tomatoes but the sun dried tomatoes were so awsome that I had seconds! Only homemade can you have sun dried tomatoes that are so delicious. Next came the pasta course. Only three peices made me kinda sad. The home made pasta ravioli in cream sauce was amazing. Then came the meat plate. All kinds of different meats, but I only had a few nibbles because I was already full. Finally, we had 3 choices for dessert. I had chocolate cake and mom had terra masu. In between courses, the accordian player entertained and another gentleman sang. An elderly lady in the other group danced with Alessandro (the other group's tour guide). At one point he had me up doing the funky chicken, how very embarassing! By the time we got home it was after 11pm and the druken tourists were stumbling from too much wine.

Welcome to the Tuscan Feast
can I sit down now?
can I sit down now?
I have a big butt
I have a big butt
mom doesnt like her picture taken
mom doesn't like her picture taken
Florence