The first Capitol of Malta

Mdina Travel Blog

We reach our destination of Rabat. Up the hill is the fortress that is Mdina. Rabat is the city outside the gates and to the south.

The Mdina gate is very impressive, massive stones, showing strength, and fine details showing elegance. Through the gate, you have entered another world, another time. Tiny medieval passages give way to grand squares with fantastic churches or palaces rivaling any in Europe.

I visit the cathedral museum and see hundreds of years of woodcarvings, religious paintings, and manuscripts and coins from the 6th century BC. An incredible collection for a fee of 2.5 euro (including visit to the cathedral, itself. I enter the Cathedral. You can tell that Mdina was the capitol of Malta. This was it's high altar, it's jewel. It was built to impress and it does. There are colorful marbles on columns, ceilings filled with vibrant frescoes, to inspire thought/prayer.

There are elaborate carvings whose artist professed faith and devotion with a chisel.

I walk along the outer wall to the south revealing a panorama of most of central Malta and the coast to the north, as well, almost all of it. It's just too much to get in a photograph, even with a wide angle lens. What a vantage point. I can see the dome of Mosta, the harbor holiday villages to the west, and even the mega city around Valletta.

I stop for lunch at the Priory Cafe. The food is good and the service, friendly. (Review)

I walk the passageways a bit and enjoy the silence. It is so peaceful and light breeze is funneled through like air conditioning. The temperature in the shade of the alleys is atleast 10 degrees cooler than in the sun.

photo by: Ils1976