EuropeMaltaMosta

Mosta, Golden Bay, and a cruise around Grand Harbor

Mosta Travel Blog

Hey, I actually got up at a reasonable time and within Annie's breakfast period. The breakfast room was filled with so many people. I had no idea that the guesthouse was this filled. I strck up a conversation with 2 Austrailian women concerning jet-lag. We continued a nice conversation on travel over tea.

Well, it was 11am now, and I have places to see so, I return to the bus-go-round and catch the 47 to Mosta. The broadest unsupported dome in the world adorns this church.

In short time I was in Mosta. The bus stop is even at the church, itself. I surveyed the exterior. It's design elements are very large in scale. Not simple but, less decorative than most. The dome is so big that it is visible from a large portion of the island.

I go inside and WOW! It is magnificant. It is so vast and open. It is imense. From what I am told, the church hold more people than there are in Mosta. Just being there gives you a special feeling, I can't describe.

The dominant color is a soothing blue. There are carved rosettes that adorn the dome interior. There are so many! The column details capture my attention, quite unique. The frescoes are so vivid and add so much to the space. There is a carving of Christ dragging the cross in a prominent place. It, alone, is a reason to come for a visit.

During World War II there was a bomb that came through the church ceiling and continued through the floor. It is still here, unexploded.

I go back to the stop and continue my day's journey.

Mosta