Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Vienna : 4/7/09

Off to the train station bright and early for a ride across Austria to Vienna ; it is a pretty ride across Austria . Vienna will be one of the few places we only stay one night on this trip. It is a great city but one I figured we could cover in a day and save the extra days for other places. So far Melinda and I have made a good travel team; we both like to snap away the pictures, especially at night. Melinda loves the food over here and has made sure to take a picture of all her meals and places we eat. Thus far I don’t think there has been a meal we have not enjoyed.

We are staying in the Do Step Inn Hostel; it is new hostel that has some good character to it. The room we are in has two girls from Japan crashing there. Melinda was able to use her Japanese skills to converse with them. It was very cool to listen to Melinda chat away with them.

After dropping off our gear it was time to go hit the city and see the sights. We stopped off at a park to have a quick bite to eat and enjoy a Mozart Ball or two.

After lunch I took Melinda on the trolley that circles the city, as recommended by Rick Steves’. Last time I was here I went clockwise around the city on the trolleys. This time I went counterclockwise; I should have stuck to the path I knew. We jumped off at one stop to walk through a park and enjoy the sunny day. We jumped back on the #2 trolley and resumed the rest of our circle tour; but before I knew it the trolley was taking a right hander over a bridge. “Hmmmm…this is not the path it is suppose to be taking!” We jumped off the trolley and began the walk back towards the circle. I spotted a gelato stand and we decided to make the most of our detour by getting a yummy gelato. Finally back across the river we went over to the trolley stop and waited for another #2. Jumping on we were laughing about our little detour; a block later the trolley took a sharp right back over another bridge. “Not again!!!” We jumped off the trolley and found ourselves back by the gelato stand. We thought about getting another but just ended up heading back.

Not quite sure what was the deal with these #2 trolleys, even on the map it does not show them going where they were. We came across a funky old red Ford Truck, but it was one that neither Melinda nor I have ever seen. Finally we decided to jump on a different trolley and head back around the circle. We jumped off the trolley to see few sights, and of course they were behind scaffolding. Our tour has been dubbed: “Euro Trip 09; Under Construction.” Jumping on the Metro we made our way back down to St. Stephen’s Cathedral. What an amazing Cathedral; and this time I get to see it with the sun streaming through the colorful glass windows. We spent a good amount of time in the cathedral taking pictures and watching all the tourists.

The rest of the evening we spent walking the streets of Vienna and shopping. I wanted to track down the restaurant Colin and I ate here in ’05, but I could not remember where it was. We found a Australian Bar/Grill that looked good so we grabbed a bar stool outside on the sidewalk and had some dinner. I had an amazing hamburger with a StrongBow cider. That burger was amazing and I finally found some cider over here in Europe . After dinner we head out to take some night pictures; we took quite a few really cool night shots. Melinda has a nice SLR camera with tripod so she was able to get some really cool shots with the trolleys crossing each others paths.

By the time we got back to our hostel both of us were ready to collapse into bed.

Today I noticed my throat was starting to get a little soar. Here comes that cold that the guy in Salzburg had; nothing like sharing a room with sick people.

Tomorrow we are off to Bratislava , Slovakia .

Goodnight from Austria ….

Vienna Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
G'day from Vienna
Stumbled across Crossfield's Australian Pub while walking the streets of Vienna looking for a bite to eat. Great food and they had Magners and Strong… read entire review
Vienna Hostels review
Do Step Inn
Stayed here one night and found it to be a very nice and clean hostel. I stayed in a 4 person room with bathroom and it did not seem too crowded; clea… read entire review
Vienna