Slaughter House Five

Dresden Travel Blog

Dreseden, Germnay: 4/23/09

Back in Germany finally! It is so good to get back to a country where I can understand the people for the most part and able to communicate with them. After our adventure through Romania and Ukraine I really appreciate Germany that much more. This is my first time to Dresden; I wanted to go through it in ’05 but just did not have the time then. The only thing I really knew about Dresden was that it was fire bombed by the British and Americans in WWII and that Kurt Vonegut wrote about it in ‘Slaughter House Five’ which I so happen to be reading for the occasion.

Arriving in Dresden there were some storm clouds overhead and rain was on its way. We found our way to the hostels; Angelica is staying in a hostel a few blocks away from ours. The neighborhood Melinda and I are staying is a very artistic neighborhood with a lot of clubs and bars too. We are staying across the river from the old town; this part of Dresden survived the destruction of the fire bombing. We ditched our bags and headed into town; it is a short walk from the new town to the old town. Crossing over the river the old town sprawls out in front of us. The buildings look very old but they are all around 65 years old at the oldest. They were built after the war in their original grandeur. We now were after food and most places were just starting to open for the day. As the heavens above opened up and we were starting to get dumped on we jumped into an open Australian themed restaurant. This is the 2nd one we have run into on this trip. Once again I was able to find some StrongBow Cider which I would enjoy after we had some breakfast/lunch. We waited out the storm in the restaurant for a few hours then headed out to explore the city and see the sights. Dresden is a very pretty city; they did a great job rebuilding! There are a few things that survived the fire bombing, such as this massive mural on the side of wall; it is longer than a football field. We saw all the major sights in a few hours, Angelica had enough walking around and headed back to the hostel. Melinda and I continued to walk the city then finally around 18:00 we headed back to the hostel to rest before heading out for some dinner.

After waking up Angelica at her hostel we headed back to the old town for some dinner at this themed restaurant in the basement of a hotel. We got there about an hour before it closed so we had most of the place to ourselves. The meal itself was alright, but the real fun was checking out the place; it is huge! There are two distinct rooms made up in two styles. The room we were in had a table that had swinging chairs from a carousel above the table.

After dinner we dropped off Angelica at a club and we will see here in Paris; she is staying and extra day here and then going on to Stuttgart while Melinda and I are off to Berlin. Dresden is a cool city and well worth a visit if traveling through the area. One day is plenty time to see all the main sights in Dresden.

Tomorrow we are off to Berlin.

Dreseden, Germnay: 4/23/09

After dinner we dropped off Angelica at a club and we will see here in Paris; she is staying an extra day here and then going on to Stuttgart while Melinda and I are off to Berlin. Dresden is a cool city and well worth a visit if traveling through the area. One day is plenty time to see all the main sights in Dresden.

Tomorrow we are off to Berlin.

Dresden