Paris Day 2

Paris Travel Blog

Woke up this morning and the sky is looking clear for the most part, a little overcast and some threatening clouds off in the distance but that won’t stop us from enjoying the day. Melinda and I headed off to walk down Champs-Elysees past the Louvre and end up at Notre Dame. What a beautiful walk that was; along the way we passed so many historical sights! Notre Dame is everything it is cracked up to be and then some. There was a good crowd outside in front of it but not too many people inside to really be able to enjoy it. We walked around inside for awhile snapping some pictures; I eventually just sat down and enjoyed the moment of being in this magnificent building. It was lunch time and we looked at some of the restaurants across the street from Notre Dame; we found one that looked alright so we sat down and got the menu from the server. After ten minutes or so we never saw the server again and we could see no one to flag down so we took off and grabbed a Nutella and banana crepe from a place next door. Now that was so much better than what I was going to order! Walking into the garden behind Notre Dame we sat on a park bench under a bunch of Linden Trees. Soon we noticed it was raining out but we were sheltered by the trees. The storm moved in very quickly and the rain came down harder and harder; as the temperature dropped the rain turned into hail for awhile. Around this time even the shelter under the trees was starting to become compromised. We both donned our rain jackets and got closer to the trunk of a tree for more shelter; scanning around the park there were many others doing the same thing. It started to let up a little bit and we set off in the driving rain to see some sights and maybe find another place to take shelter.

Eventually the storm passed as we were walking around so we made our way up to the Pantheon building in Paris. We purchased the two day Paris Museum pass and got a free entrance into the Pantheon. There are some amazing murals in this place and the crypt is the final resting spot for such names as: Victor Hugo (Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre Dame), Alexandre Dumas (The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo), Louis Braille (Braille script), even Marie Curie can be found here. I decided to head up to the roof to get a really good view of the city. Every hour there is a guide who takes groups up to the top and out on the roof for a fantastic view of Paris. Melinda must have been still wandering around the crypt because I could not see her anywhere. Since this was the last chance to go up I jumped into the group and began the ascent. The climb up was fairly easy, but many people were having a little bit of a difficulty with the height and the number of stairs. Once on top of the roof Paris sprawled out bellow me. The Eiffel Tower is off in the distance and when I first got out on the roof there was a rain storm passing over the tower. I could hardly see the Eiffel Tower because of the rain in the distance. I made a circle around the top of the Pantheon snapping pictures in all directions. Our group had about 15 minutes up there; a quick short rain storm passed over but we were sheltered by the building. Finally the sky cleared and there the Eiffel Tower was in all its glory; what a view from up here! After heading back down I meet up with Melinda outside and we decided to work our way back towards the Louvre. We ran across this gelato shop that had gelato focaccina’s. I have never seen such a thing. It is basically a gelato sandwich with powdered sugar on it; or a little slice of heaven as I call it. If you ever run across one try it and you be the judge. Wow they are good! After enjoying the focaccina we walked through Jardin Du Luxembourg Park where we found another movie being filmed. This one looked like a mid budget film and the scene had a lot of extras dressed in mid to late 20’s apparel. We watched them film a few takes, both Melinda and I found ourselves chomping at the bit wanting to jump in and do whatever we could to help out; we both really want to work in this industry! The dark storm clouds are now moving in and it looks like we are going to get hit hard before we make it back to our apartment. Within a few minutes we were once again walking the streets of Paris in a downpour. Now I was wishing I would have packed my poncho for this kind of weather. By the time we got to the Louver it had let up but we were only in the eye of the storm, the next wave was on its way. The Louvre is closed today so there was hardly anyone around, perfect time to snap some pictures of the place. The glass pyramid entrance is very cool looking and looks much better without thousands of people standing by it. No sooner did we start heading back towards the apartment the next round of rain moved in. We stood under an arch in the Jardin Des Tuileries Park hoping the storm would pass. I think we waited out the worse part, but we could tell it was not going to stop raining anytime soon, so back into the rain we go. Using the Linden Trees for shelter we worked our way up to the Obelisque. My legs were soaked by now and enough was enough. I pulled out my map located the closest Metro and set off to ride the Metro the rest of the way. I like being out in the rain, but there comes a point when I get too wet and cold and just stop having a really good time. Now if I would have been prepared for this kind of rain I would have loved to have kept plodding along seeing the sights in the rain, which is actually one of the best time to see a city & sights.

Once back in the warmth of the apartment and after a quick change I made myself a baguette sandwich and relaxed. The rain never let up so I just decided to hang out in the apartment for the duration of the evening. Angelica had plans to head out to a club so she got ready and Melinda and I just took it easy and called it a night. Our original plan for tomorrow was to head out to Beauvais which is just a few hours North of Paris to check out a cathedral Melinda wanted to see. We both agreed that there is so much to do in Paris we probably would not have the time for this day trip. So we are off to the Louvre Museum tomorrow.

Eventually the storm passed as we were walking around so we made our way up to the Pantheon building in Paris. We purchased the two day Paris Museum pass and got a free entrance into the Pantheon. There are some amazing murals in this place and the crypt is the final resting spot for such names as: Victor Hugo (Les Miserables, The Hunchback of Notre Dame), Alexandre Dumas (The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo), Louis Braille (Braille script), even Marie Curie can be found here. I decided to head up to the roof to get a really good view of the city. Every hour there is a guide who takes groups up to the top and out on the roof for a fantastic view of Paris. Melinda must have been still wandering around the crypt because I could not see her anywhere. Since this was the last chance to go up I jumped into the group and began the ascent. The climb up was fairly easy, but many people were having a little bit of a difficulty with the height and the number of stairs. Once on top of the roof Paris sprawled out bellow me. The Eiffel Tower is off in the distance and when I first got out on the roof there was a rain storm passing over the tower. I could hardly see the Eiffel Tower because of the rain in the distance. I made a circle around the top of the Pantheon snapping pictures in all directions. Our group had about 15 minutes up there; a quick short rain storm passed over but we were sheltered by the building. Finally the sky cleared and there the Eiffel Tower was in all its glory; what a view from up here! After heading back down I meet up with Melinda outside and we decided to work our way back towards the Louvre. We ran across this gelato shop that had gelato focaccina’s. I have never seen such a thing. It is basically a gelato sandwich with powdered sugar on it; or a little slice of heaven as I call it. If you ever run across one try it and you be the judge. Wow they are good! After enjoying the focaccina we walked through Jardin Du Luxembourg Park where we found another movie being filmed. This one looked like a mid budget film and the scene had a lot of extras dressed in mid to late 20’s apparel. We watched them film a few takes, both Melinda and I found ourselves chomping at the bit wanting to jump in and do whatever we could to help out; we both really want to work in this industry! The dark storm clouds are now moving in and it looks like we are going to get hit hard before we make it back to our apartment. Within a few minutes we were once again walking the streets of Paris in a downpour. Now I was wishing I would have packed my poncho for this kind of weather. By the time we got to the Louver it had let up but we were only in the eye of the storm, the next wave was on its way. The Louvre is closed today so there was hardly anyone around, perfect time to snap some pictures of the place. The glass pyramid entrance is very cool looking and looks much better without thousands of people standing by it. No sooner did we start heading back towards the apartment the next round of rain moved in. We stood under an arch in the Jardin Des Tuileries Park hoping the storm would pass. I think we waited out the worse part, but we could tell it was not going to stop raining anytime soon, so back into the rain we go. Using the Linden Trees for shelter we worked our way up to the Obelisque. My legs were soaked by now and enough was enough. I pulled out my map located the closest Metro and set off to ride the Metro the rest of the way. I like being out in the rain, but there comes a point when I get too wet and cold and just stop having a really good time. Now if I would have been prepared for this kind of rain I would have loved to have kept plodding along seeing the sights in the rain, which is actually one of the best times to see a city & sights.

23,121 km (14,367 miles) traveled