München

Munich Travel Blog

Atlanta to Munich Germany : 4/2/09-4/3/09

It was a packed flight heading over to Munich and we were stuck in the two bulkhead seats on the right hand side of the plane just a head of the wings. No window for us and no leg room for me. Bugger!  We flew over on a Boeing 767-300ER.

The flight over was plenty smooth but once again I got very little to no rest or sleep on the flight. Touching down in Munich it felt so good to be back in Europe and Deutschland!

I guided us into town from the airport and to Wombats Hostel where we will be staying for the next two nights. I stayed here for one night in ’05 and thought it was an alright hostel. Check in was not until 14:00 so we had several hours to kill. There was a free city tour ran from the hostel at 11:00 so we decided to ditch our bags and join this tour which would kill four hours.

Our tour guides name was Ozzie; a Blackman from Munich who had just about a funny comment for every part of Munich and its history. The tour was good for the most part, but he really did not like people filming him or taking pictures of things while he was talking. He even got after Melinda for filming him at the beginning of the tour.

The tour itself was interesting and I did learn a little more about this great city; around 13:00 jetlag hit Melinda and I like sack of bratwurst. Both of us started getting loopy and so we decided to ditch out on the rest of the tour and head back to the hostel. We grabbed a quick bite to eat and then I took Melinda around Munich showing her the sights I was shown in ’05 by a friend who at the time lived in Munich and the ones I discovered while hanging out with my friend Kat.

The hours started to pass by and before I knew it I was looking at 16:00 and wondering why I was not laying in bed taking a well deserved nap. Here it is the first day of our trip and I feel as if we have covered more things than most do in two full days.

We found our way to the English Garden seeking the comfort of a park bench and a good rest. On the way there we ran into our tour group but quickly hid before we were noticed.

Munich is quite the city; all but a few structures survived WWII; even though most look several hundred years old. Most are around 60 years old.

Finally we were back at the hostel checking into our room. The rest would be short lived because soon we were heading out for some dinner and to take some night pictures after dinner. Altes Hackerhause is located in one of the oldest buildings in Munich and is very popular with the locals. We both had a very fine meal and enjoyed the ambience of the place.

After dinner it was time to get a few night shots and then finally call it a night. By this time both of us were about to collapse. We stopped in Marienplatz and took some very good pictures of the ‘ New Town Hall ’ and the glockenspiel.

Finally around 23:00 we were in the hostel and calling it a day/night on a VERY long two days of traveling and sightseeing. This is the first time to Europe where I did not crash for a few hours during the day to recover from the long flight over. Looking back on it I do think a few hour nap would have been wise.

Tomorrow we are taking a day trip out to see Neuswanstein castle.

Until next time….

Munich Hostels review
"Party Hostel"
I have stayed here twice now. For a larger hostel in a big city, it is a good one! If your room is on the street side it can be quite loud for most of… read entire review
Munich