The Land of Mozart Balls & Bells

Salzburg Travel Blog

Salzburg Day Two: 4/6/09

Woke up early and headed out for a quick bite to eat. I took Melinda over to show her the cemetery where Mozart’s father and wife are buried. We then walked back down to the old town to continue the self guided walking tour of Salzburg . Stopping in at St. Peters Cemetery we walked around the old graves looking at the cemetery that inspired the movie set used in ‘The Sound of Music’; the scene at the end where the family is hiding in the graveyard behind the iron gates.

Back on Getreidegasse we headed towards the “Afro Café”, Melinda wanted to check out this funky place. On the way there I ran into the store of the original makers Mozart Balls; I just had to check these out! They are twice as expensive but WOW; they are so good!

After chilling at the Afro Café we walked back through the center of the old town and got us a BIG donut style pretzel; sat on a park bench did some people watching and enjoyed the warm sun. We have gotten so much sun on this trip; my face and arms are already very tan. I was hopping a tour guide that Colin and I had back in ’05 would still be working for this company in Salzburg but Bruno was no longer working there.

Next stop was the Salzburg Fortress; this year I decided to ride the funicular (which I call the ‘Funny Licker’) It is a quick ride up to the top; since we headed up right before closing we got the discounted price just to walk the castle grounds. From up here Salzburg sprawls out bellow us; we hung out up here snapping a lot of pictures. I could hardly believe I was up here looking at this sight. Salzburg is really beginning to feel like a home away from home, being this my third time here.

After hanging out until the grounds closed we headed out for a hike across Monchberg (the hill the fortress is up on). I have only hiked a little of this in the past; this time we hiked the whole thing. Melinda and I found an amazing spot to sit and enjoy the view. From this park bench I could see all the way up towards the Berchtesgaden region. I pointed out many of the places used in the sound of music; from up here one can see the building that was used for the back of the family house and the one used for the front. I will for sure be visiting this spot again in the future. From there we walked along the cliff edge of Monchberg and ended up at the elevator. I always thought it was this structure that was out on the cliff edge and was some old elevator. To our disappointment it was a modern elevator built inside the cliff. Few seconds later we were back down at the end  Getreidegasse. Stopping in for a gelato before walking back down Getreidegasse one last time. We decided to just grab a Doner (gyro) and call it a night. Both of us were pretty tired from walking around all day long.

Goodnight one last time from the land of Mozart Balls & Bells.

Salzburg Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Yummy Bosna
Looking for a cheap and tasty bite to eat while walking around Salzburg? This place has some amazing Bosna (Sausages)! Cheap and yummy. Tucked back … read entire review
Salzburg Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
"Got Funk?"
If you are looking for a hip new coffee shop in Salzburg this is the place to go. Very interesting interior and great patio seating out front.
Salzburg