Berlin Day 1

Berlin Travel Blog

Berlin,Germany: 4/24/09

My favorite big city in Europe; Berlin! Arguably the most important city of the last century. Melinda and I will be staying here for three days. We are staying in a hostel called ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ which is right across the street from the hostel Colin and I stayed the first time we were in Berlin in ’05. It is located in the former sector of East Berlin, which is now considered the more artistic and entertaining part of Berlin. After getting situated in the hostel I took Melinda out to see some of the city. We walked down to Museum Island and had a good lunch at a café looking across the river at the Berliner Dom. While eating lunch we noticed a bunch of people moving film production equipment, so after eating we headed down the way they were headed. We found where they had set up and watched them film a few takes for a scene. After watching that we headed down  Unter den Linden to Humbolt University; I pointed out the square where the book burnings took place in 1933. There is a lot of police cars flying up and down Unter den Linden with sirens blaring. Not sure what is going on, but there is a large polizei presence around this area tonight. We eventually made our way down to the Brandenburg Gate arriving just in time to see the sunset behind it.

Berlin