Auschwitz

Krakow Travel Blog

The next day Melinda and I headed out to Auschwitz for a day tour through Auschwitz 1 and Auschwitz 2 –Birkenau. This would be our first time to a concentration camp. On the way out in the van I was not feeling that well; I think my cold is at its peak and man what a day for it to hit me. So the entire time while walking through this place I felt awful; which I guess is a good way to see this place. It did put me in a little more of the right frame of mind to think about the suffering that took place on these grounds. As a student of WWII and history this place is very fascinating to me. Not often is one able to walk the preserved grounds where an event that shaped the world as we know it took place. It was very strange seeing a room full of hair, false limbs, and one display of eye glasses from the victims that passed through this camp. Walking down one hallway there is pictures of people all over the walls; essentially mug shots. During the first few years of operation the SS would take pictures of the people, later resorting to tattoos. I noticed dates bellow the pictures. The first one was the date they were interned; the next one was the date they died; either from starvation or from being gassed. Most of the women only lasted 3-4 months and most of the men only 6 months. When we walked into the gas chamber it was surreal! Looking up I could see where the Zyklon B was dropped into the vents. Then we passed into the room with the ovens. After that we made a short trip over to Auschwitz-Birkenau; which was mostly destroyed by fires. I am glad I was able to get out and see these sights and would highly recommend anyone visiting Krakow to do the same.

By the time we got back to Krakow and to the hostel I was completely knackered; it was nap time for me. After my nap Melinda and I headed down to the Krakow castle and walked the grounds. We have been really good at timing our evening walks, seems like we have caught so many beautiful sunsets on this trip. It is also one of the best times for taking pictures. After the sunset we got a few night shots in the main square. I am not feeling too well tonight so I am turning in and hopefully this cold passes after a good nights rest.

Krakow