That damn guesthouse scam again!

Krabi Travel Blog

So first thing this morning I headed out to take some pictures of the lovely flowers in our resort. It was worth it too as I could hear all the monkeys in th park shouting and calling. There were also cute little squirrelly things flying about from tree to tree.

We forced ourselves onto the bus and headed for Krabi. We got dropped off at the minibus office outside Krabi town and there were the taxi drivers waiting for us (how convinient!). We headed in to get our taxi to Good Dream Guest house. The guy then started his spiel about somewhere better etc etc but we wanted to go to Good Dream. His rates did seem better though and it included a free taxi )he told us we were 5k from town no we weren't!) So we decided to go with him but the kicker was we had to pay upfront. So I said no, we wouold look at the room first and he then says well if you do that you have to pay for the taxi!!!!! Cheeky sod, but we couldn't find other transport from there and I got the feeling that if we paid for a taxi to somewhere else and not his place it would be extortionate!

To be honest the room is fine and it is cool. Its further from town than he said so we are booked in at the Good Dream in a few days.

We have booked a boat to Koh PhiPhi for tomorrow and plan to stay overnight. Then we are snorkelling for the day and on the 8th we are crossing the border to Malaysia!! We booked all this with one lovely agent and not through the hotel we got railroaded into on principle so ha! Also we have learnt not to give in so easily next time!

Despite what the books say about it just being a stop off to other places I quite like what I have seen of Krabi so far. It has much more of a sense of true Thai town life that I haven't seen for a while and in the guesthouse area it is nice and cheap. No horrible package resorts! yay.

photo by: forevert2