Mothers and babies

Sandakan Travel Blog

We have arriced at Selingan Island which is part of the Turtle Islands reserve just outside of Sandakan. The areas are protected so that the Green sea turtles and Hawksbill turtles can breed with more success. There are hatcheries on the islands so that the babies can have more of a chance to make it to the sea.

It is the tiniest island in the middle of the sea and is totally picture perfect. I took a walk around the island and it took a grand total of half an hour. The water is crystal clear and the sand is soft and white! We had some gorgeoud weather for some time on the beach.

As I was walking around the island I discovered an exhausted and lost tiny little hatchling turtle! He was scrambling around in the sand and couldn't figure out which way it was to the water! He was tiny and so adorable. His fellow hatchlings had been released in the night so he had been lost for a long time! I did my good deed for the day and picked him up and put him in the water and off he went! It really put a smile on my face!

Did some snorkelling and it was pretty good, not as clear as previous days but still good. There were some really cool clams. Really big and they were all really bright colours. There were some really pretty pink and yellow fish too. The water was a lovely temperature too.

In the evening you aren't allowed on the beach from 6pm so as not to disturb any turtles that come up to lay their eggs. we waited in the resturant for the rangers to come and get us to see one of the turtles. When we headed out we found one in a nest on the beach quietly laying her eggs. She was huge! Her shell was more than one meter in length! It was amazing to see the eggs being laid. Another amazing thing happened then also. All of a sudden we heard alot of rustling in the leaves next to us and all of a sudden turtle hatchlings were scuttling across our feet and making their break for freedom for the water! The rangers normally collect all the eggs that are laid but they must have missed one. The nests take 60 days to hatch so we were soooooo lucky to see a wild one hatch!!

We then watched as the rangers released some hatchlings from the hatchery. They were so cute! Tiny and all scampering around to get in the water! It was a fantastic experience and the rangers are all doing a great job helping to increase the turtle population.

photo by: canuck_downunder05