Tikal National Park in Guatemala (Mayan Ruins)

Tikal Travel Blog

After breakfast at the hotel on Friday morning we booked a tour (just the ride to and from the hotel) to Tikal. It is one of the largest archaeological sites.

Being sneaky, Robert pretended we were both locals and got us into the park for 75% off of what tourists pay! We also did this at the zoo and the caves the previous day! Hey...I was on a budget!

We proceed to the map of the park and decide on a route to get to the center of the park where most of the ruins are located. The way we chose would take us to several other ruins as well. And a freaking 6 mile hike!!!! The walk there is not on a nice little paved road...oh no! LOL...you have to walk through bushes and trees, and roots and rocks and dirt and stairs (not nicely architectured steps.

..rocky, uneven ones!). By the time you reach destination you are tired as heck! My legs were already in pain from the Xunantunich ruins and this just added to the pain! But...it was all worth it. Tikal is extremely large and beautiful site. It's amazing to see the city that Mayans created and get an idea of how they lived, and where they ate, played and slept. Once again, I was extremely glad to have Robert with me. He helped me climb all the steps, up and down, that would have been very difficult to do due to my aching muscles. Plus...he's one hot tour guide!

A brief stop by the gift shop to avoid 10 minute pouring rain and we where back at the tour bus for our 45 minute drive back.

We again had dinner at a nice restaurant (where we were the only patrons) and took a walk over to Flores (the nearby island) to have a drink and stroll.

Tikal