A Day in Belize City

Belize City Travel Blog

There aren't too many pics to share for this day. The reality is that the city is extremely dangerous and poor and not a great site for takingĀ pics. You don't want to look too much like a tourist walking in the city. We took the 2 hour bus ride into the city from Benque then decided to walk to the Duty Free mall so Robert could show me some of the dangerous parts of the city. He is a cop, so I knew I would be safe and he would not put me in a bad situation. Plus, I was curious to see the "real" city. And sure enough, it's just like one of those TV documentaries where they walk you through a place run by criminals. It's scary and sad. Robert lived in the city a while back and knew of a good place for lunch. He wanted me to experience some "exotic" food.
Ha...little did I know what I was in for. On the menu was something called "Gibnut" that Robert said I should have. I was hesitant, and told him not to tell me what it was until after I ate. They brought it to me served with the local "rice and beans" and well...it tasted like chicken. But...NOOOOO! It turned out to be a type of rodent!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! I just about pucked when he showed me what it was...and...if you look at my zoo entry from Guatemala...you can see what it looks like! A big F'ing rat!!!! Well...cuter than a rat, but still...of the same family! Yuck. Anyway, we went to a casino/hotel for a drink after that and hung out by the hotel pool next to the ocean to relax a bit. Then off we were back to Benque for the evening.
poohstanggt says:
Ok...where's the picture of this gibnut?!!?!? HAHAHAHA
Posted on: May 10, 2009