EuropeMaltaGozo

Getting to Gozo and first impressions

Gozo Travel Blog

Port and city of Cirkewwa, Malta

Ok, first of all the island that is shown as Gozo on google maps is Comino. The island to the left of it is actually, Gozo.

My flight from Amsterdam was late leaving so, my arrival in Malta was equally late. This caused me a problem with the bus to the port at Cirkewwa which has limited times. My next bus would be several hours later causing me a problem on Gozo as, their bus system stops running at 7pm. Also, I needed to catch the next ferry which was only 45 minutes away so that I could use the bus system on Gozo.  So.

Loading cars for transport to Gozo
.....I make the decision to do something I never do.....take a cab!!! The cost 33 euro. Now, I am a budget traveler so, this was killing me but, had to be done. Now, I have to tell you that I have ridden the "Maltese Rollercoaster"!

The airport is in the southeast of the island and we needed to cross almost the whole island to the northwest. This was terrifying. The speed, the corners on two wheels (almost), passing with cars coming at us, all of this while traversing mountain and coastal roads. There were hair pin turns and the running of stop signs.  The sights were amazing as I am racing to what I am almost certain is my death.

We arrive in record time. I race to the ticket booth and buy my return ticket. You cannot buy a oneway. The price is only 1.40 euro. I board and immediately go to the uppermost deck to survey the view.

Comino and the entance to blue lagoon
I can see so much. I can see the island of Comino and all the way across the channel to Gozo. I can even see some of the church domes on the island. It's looks like an amazing landscape.

We sail on calm blue and green sparkling sea. It looks like crystals sparkling against a brilliant cloudless sky. I feel energized.

As we sailed past Comino, I could make out the different caves and bridges that the water has carved out of the limestone. It looked like sculpture.

We approach Mgarr, the hillside ferry port for Gozo. It's terraced with homes and business looking like they are hanging off the rocks. It was quite an interesting view is monotone as everything, EVERYTHING is made from the limestone. The homes, churches fortresses, walls, all made of the limestone. The colorful marina really stands out from the golden surroundings.

Approaching Mgarr, Gozo

We disembark and go straight to the bus stop. A 50's era bus pulls up to the stop. Wow, how cool. The rice is .47 euro. We make our way up hill and around to the top of the plateau, Victoria (Rabat). I see many fascinating churches, gates, and scenic views to explore during my time on Gozo. It's very exciting.

I got off the bus with instructions from the bus driver on how to get to my hotel. I get lost anyway but, I do see a tourist information sign. I go in and am helped with a map and more directions. This worked as I made it to the hotel in just a few minutes. I'm a little disappointed as the hotel isn't in the center but, nothing is really very far. It's a small city on a small island.

I check in and head out for food and to survey Victoria. Everything is closed. Shop and restaruants are all closed.

Clocktower of the Citadel high atop Victoria at sunset
Only this "snack cafe" is open......argh!!! I go to the grocery store and pick up some local cuisine from the deli section.

I walk the beautiful central square with trees lit with little lights as it is now almost dusk. There is a quaint church at one end. I want up the hill from there and reach the citadel. This is the highest point on the island. I am unable to get to the top....it's late. but from what I am able to see the panoramic view is so beautiful. I did not expect this. I will have to come back tomorrow. I'm sure that the view from the top is even better.

I make my way back to the hotel. I get lost only 3 times and 30 minutes longer than it should take. I text Rob to call me. He calls and then adds my mother to the call as she is now calling Rob. We are using skype so this is possible. She is shocked to hear that I am not in Amsterdam. I tell her every time I travel along with my friends in the USA but, no one really pays attention to my emails and then are surprised. They're a mess. Anyway, she is excited for me....that is nice.

Tomorrow a new land waiting for my discovery. I am excited. I am here, Gozo!    (More to come and pics too)

oldschoolbill says:
As john Wayne says “A man's got to do what a man's got to do” 3 times & 30 minutes I'm happy!!
Posted on: Mar 23, 2009
Loading cars for transport to Gozo
Comino and the entance to blue lag…
Comino and the entance to blue la…
Approaching Mgarr, Gozo
Clocktower of the Citadel high ato…
Clocktower of the Citadel high at…
Cirkewwa and coast of Malta.
Cirkewwa and coast of Malta.
Gozo from a distance
Inside the Citadel walls
Basilica of St. George in Victoria
Basilica of St. George in Victoria
Gozo Hotels & Accommodations review
The only hotel on Gozo....seriously.
The building was built in 2005 as the first hotel on Gozo. It's listed as 4 star. Well, I would say average 3 star plus amenities is a better descript… read entire review
Gozo