The City of Angels

Los Angeles Travel Blog

The song is Viva La Vida by Coldplay The song isn't actually my favorite song but it was the most played song in all the radio stations during my recent trip to the US. Please enjoy the video!

I have to dedicate this blog to my friends who made my US trip possible and memorable. Nick - my partner in crime here in Singapore and without him, I wouldn't have gotten my US visa. Jie and Ron - my best buds who showed me what Vegas is all about. France and Redge, my 'fabulous' tour guides who dragged me to Rent and Wicked ticket lotteries in Los Angeles even if I am not into Broadway shows. Adam - who tried his best to make me feel at home in DC and Ambi, Keysi, Carlos and Joel - my amazing friends from the east coast.

The United States has been one of my dream destinations every since I was kid. I guess it's mainly because I grew up in a country where Hollywood movies are more popular than local films.

So when I finally had the chance to go there, I immediately planned my trip carefully and called my friends to help me draft my itinerary.

California was my first stop from Singapore. It took my flight from Taipei International Airport, which is the transit terminal for China Airlines, more than fifteen hours to reach LAX. I tried my best to keep my eyes open few hours before the plane landed just to see what California looks like from the airplane and I was so glad that I did. The view from above was spectacular! I saw the snow-capped mountains, huge fields and hills that seem to be carpeted with the greenest grass that I've ever seen in my entire life. Approaching LAX you can see the Hollywood sign from above and that's what finally made me realize that I've arrived in Los Angeles, California!

Notwithstanding the jetlag and fatigue I was experiencing that time due to a very uncomfortable middle seat, I managed to get through the immigration and customs without any hassle.

I couldn't help but actually feel at home in LAX. There's just so many Filipinos in that airport and I somehow took advantage of it by borrowing a handphone from one of the old ladies at the arrival area. It was really nice of her to lend me her phone and let me call my friends Ron and Jie, who were stuck in traffic that time. I managed to let them know where they could pick me up and after patiently waiting for twenty minutes at the bench outside the arrival area, they finally arrived. I put my luggage in the trunk, hurriedly went inside the car, put my sunglasses on and told myself - "This is it! Los Angeles baby!"

My friends live in Cerritos, which is about thirty minutes south of downtown Los Angeles.
Getting there from the airport was such a breeze and I didn't even notice that it was quite far from LAX. I planned to stay with them on my first night before moving to my ex-colleague's place in Glendale. Ron was so eager to show me around so I didn't say no when he asked me to join him in one of the local bars which is a favorite hang-out of Filipino-Americans. Jetlag has finally taken it's toll on me after few drinks so we decided to call it a night and head back to Ron's place to hit the sack.

First day of my US trip has ended really nicely but that was just the icing on the cake. I didn't imagine that I was about to embark on one of the greatest journeys of my life.

ted332 says:
kita ko na... :)
Posted on: Jun 05, 2009
abubu says:
di mo pa kita?
Posted on: Jun 05, 2009
ted332 says:
nice! asan na snowboarding pics mo? dali gusto ko makita! :)
Posted on: Jun 04, 2009
The song is Viva La Vida by Cold…