AfricaGhanaAccra

Ghana

Accra Travel Blog

Accra: The heart of the Golden country

Ghana is an exceptionally friendly country; it is one of the friendliest and safest country in west Africa. In my opinion, it is by far the best country to visit in West Africa, it has a rich history, beautiful parks, breathtaking beaches and very cheap too. Hotels may cost you more than anything else.

Accra

Accra is the capital of Ghana, the people of Accra are •like the rest of the country • friendly and the city is very welcoming. I highly recommend that you spend at least 2 days in Accra if you are planning on visiting other towns in Ghana. There are a few places that you don’t want to miss. Keep in mind that Accra is not a city that has high rises in Downtown, it has dusty roads lined with open sewers but it has great people with warm hearts and a beautiful smile.

Things to do

Nkrumah museum

If you are in Accra and interested in history, you must visit "Nkrumah museum".

I woke up in the morning and had my breakfast at the small garden of the hotel which is also a restaurant. The breakfast is not fantastic like the open buffet of Golden Tulip Hotel that we had (Prince Eric and me) but it was okay.

My driver Bill showed up and we went to the museum, to Nkrumah museum and we listened to the history of this great leader who wanted to change Ghana to make it a better place. He was the first president of independent Ghana and he was thrown off power during a coup-d’etat that took place while he was visiting China and Vietnam. The CIA didn’t like his recent relationships with communists leaders and was afraid that he was about to join the Russian camp.

I didn’t know that he had an Egyptian wife and the marriage was arranged by his friend Gamal Abdel Naser, the president of Egypt at that time. The kids of Nkrumah are very well educated and two of them are doctors.

National Museum

Open 9 am to 6 pm daily

The museum has a mesmerizing collection of Royal tools, State umbrellas, swords and linguist’s staffs “akyemepoma”.

There are some amazing piece of arts and also brasswork, weights used by the Ashanti Goldsmiths for measuring gold. My favorite item was a lion head offered to the former president “Rawlings” when he went to Ethiopia.

Tons of other items that display the history and culture of Ghana, extremely rich and fascinating.

Tel: 221633