Work hard - play quietly

Dili Travel Blog

My desk and my "To Do" lists

Now that the Tour de Timor and the 10 year anniversary celebrations have blown by Timor Leste is settling back to it’s hot and hazy self.  Traffic has returned to a sense of normality as families pile on their motorcycles, Microlets get stuffed to overflowing and taxis assume their position at the head of the frustrated driver processions they are kings of.

In the National Traffic office Hu and I are still head down butt up �"nothing has changed but the work on our computers.  In fact if anything, it has become tougher as I have to write the 5 policy documents I’ve just been asked about.  I knew about one, that was being worked on when I arrived in the office in July.

Could've done with this when I was stuck in traffic myself
  I spent the first couple of weeks preparing that one and submitted it just 4 days after the 1st August deadline.  Unfortunately I hadn’t been told that we were expected to write policy on 6 topics and the first one was probably the most simple!

I have put one together (Training Plan) in the past couple of days and am now working on the main document (Strategic Plan).  Hu was knocked flat when I told him I wanted him to put the one on Traffic Direction and Control together.  I decided that was the easiest as we had much of the material and he could cut and paste the document then leave me to refine it all.  Unfortunately he has been working on that for 6 days now and still hasn’t got to the point he thinks I can have it.

The last two will wait until after I have had my language assistant translate these three and we sit down with the PNTL Traffic Manager and discussed them.

Jose, language assistant
  Obviously they are going to be for him to implement across the traffic department so unless he understands the strategies and agrees with the content I will be wasting my time.

Once he has fine tuned them to his liking and new translations completed I will submit them to the Strategic Unit who will pull them all apart and put them back together as a single piece of the document that “is” the National Police Department of Timor Leste.

Then I’ll get on to the last two, Traffic Investigation and Road Safety Education.  I wonder if I’ll have any staff by the end of the month.

Actually, Hu has been pretty good about having to do this.  He and Lim have never had anything to do with administration in their roles at home.  Hu is in the Chinese Motorway police and Lim is a crash investigator in Malaysia.

Spring sunset
  I will give Lim the Investigation policy to write when he returns from leave this week and he will immediately apply for another position.

He has already done that since I arrived in the office and actually made everybody do some work.  Sadly for him the job he applied for was a team leader position and when they told him that he withdrew his application because he would have to do more work than if he was just a member of that team.  At least Hu gets stuck into the jobs I give him and seeks advice from his countrymen if he’s unsure how to get it done.

Strangely enough Hu thinks I am a workaholic.  I would never have considered myself that and I’ve said before I actually don’t feel like I’m working here in TL -8am-noon, 2 hours for lunch, then 2-5pm is a 7 hour day and I’ve only had to stay late about three times so far.

I consider myself to be pretty lazy but if I have work to do and I am meant to be doing it then that’s where you’ll find me.

Going, going...
  I stopped for my fourth cup of coffee this weekend so perhaps I do need to get away from the computer now and then.

With that in mind Hu invited me to his accommodation for dinner on Thursday night.  He moved there with 3 of his countrymen last week and this dinner was a house warming party.  I was invited as his team leader and he also invited his previous team leader and a “single Chinese lady” whom he talks about a great deal and has suggested I may want to meet because she is also a workaholic.  I had to laugh at that because if we were both workaholics then we would always be working rather than wanting to date each other.

Dinner was very nice.  Obviously it was all traditional Chinese food but nothing like that I get from the Chinese takeaways back in NZ.  Ling, the single Chinese lady was also very pleasant company.  She told me she had been in TL for 3.

Traffic Check point
5 years working for an aid agency.  She is ready to go elsewhere but that would depend on her securing a good position.  I had the impression she was quite highly positioned in the organisation she was working for.

The other guest was a Portuguese man from Close Protection, Peshon (or that’s how it’s pronounced).  I congratulated him for the work he and his team had done over the past few weeks as they were in charge of protecting all the visiting VIPs and certainly had the biggest job in the scheme of things.  Naturally I had to work with them in relation to organising the motorcades and escorts but our job was relatively easy when Dili roads can be shut down and cleared of all traffic without too much effort, the big problem comes when all those cars turn up on another road and unfortunately even in my position I was caught for just over an hour one day when things didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped.

Back at the dinned table HU and his friends were in a mood to get us all very drunk, I had to drive home so I was adamant that I would drink no more than one glass of wine with my dinner, Peshon didn’t drink anyway and Ling the single Chinese lady stuck to water.

Working it!
  By the time we all packed up to leave at 10pm there were still several bottles of wine and dozens of cans of beer unopened but in my opinion the night was a great success and I had learned a little more about China and Portugal.  I’m just sorry I didn’t get my camera out of it’s case at any time during the evening.

My desk and my To Do lists
My desk and my "To Do" lists
Cleaning the riot truck
Cleaning the riot truck
Couldve done with this when I was…
Could've done with this when I wa…
Working it!
LIM and I keep the traffic moving.
LIM and I keep the traffic moving.
Dili