What next???

Dili Travel Blog

Shop Bike

As our 10 days Induction Training draw to a close I've already been told two places that I may be posted.  The first was suggested by my Contingent Commander (Mike) but he made it clear that it was only going to be a suggestion from him and that the UN would ultimately post me where they required me.  Little weight is given to anyone's wishes, even though NZ has 3 Community Policing Pilots operating.

One of these was actually where Mike had decided to suggest I be posted.  Along with Theo who came over with me last week.  We would hopefully join 3 other Kiwis at Becora station within Dili.

I don't mind at all where I am posted.  Some of the guys were keen to get out of the city and into districts, some keen to stay in Dili where living is breezy at the Esplanada Hotel.

On the 5th day from my arrival Mike came to me with a piece of paper advertising a vacancy he suggested I should apply for.

Traditional building at entrance to park
  I read the document later that day and was surprised to see that it was for the position of Team Leader: Nation Traffic Unit.  The job description wasn't what we would label as Team Leader in New Zealand.  This position was more like the National Traffic Manager's role.

It required the successful applicant to not only lead the Traffic Unit but also be involved in their training, the development of Traffic rules and policies, and even liaise with roading engineers about the design of traffic management systems and road layout.

In the short time I have been in Dili I have seen about 5-6 sets of traffic lights, one roundabout, and several Stop and Give Way signs.  Other than "one-way rules" and "motorcycle riders must wear helmets", there seems to be no system to the movement of thousands of motorbikes and cars.  During weekends the traffic lights don't operate at all and here I am applying for the position that will take on this huge responsibility.

Somehow I don't think I will be able to get the job done in the 6 months I am scheduled to be here but it is too much of a challenge to let slip past without trying for the job.

Fruit seller

Later that day Mike rang me to tell me that he had been called to UN Headquarters at Obrigado Barracks where he was advised I was to be posted out to Viqueque District.  There are three Kiwis out there and after having been posted there for 2 months, all 3 are considering returning to jobs in Dili.

Viqueque is the most remote station UNPOL (UN Police) are stationed.  The main town of Viqueque is about 6 hours drive from Dili but the Kiwis are another 1.5hrs further out from there at a place called Uatolari.  It does not go without saying that I shall join the other 3 Kiwis there though, that decision is made by the District Commander when I turn up on his doorstep.

But we have always been told that we should never believe postings until we are half way to where we are meant to be as the UN may change it even as you drive out of the gate.

So I'm trying not to get too wrapped up in the question of location right now.  What I do know is that I will be here in Dili until Saturday morning at least and that my application for the Traffic job will be in by then.  Even if I get an interview for the position, and that I am successful, there will be a few weeks between now and then, so I will be posted somewhere for sure!

goezi says:
It's funny now, reading the "beginning" when I am now so close to the end. I guess I was right about 6 months being insufficient time, 11 months wasn't much more and all I've done is scratched at the problem.
I certainly worked my butt off and I'm happy to say I did the best I could under the circumstances. I hope at least that I have laid a solid foundation for the building of the traffic systems that will follow.
Posted on: May 06, 2010
hoofinnit says:
Well done with your "live in the moment" way of thinking! I share the same views so as not to waste energy stressing over what could be.
Posted on: May 05, 2010
rjgalvan77 says:
Keep up with the good scribbling!!
Posted on: Aug 31, 2009
Mmmm, burgers
Mmmm, burgers
Traditional building at entrance t…
Traditional building at entrance …
Home from school