No time to watch the clock

Te Puke Travel Blog

 › entry 4 of 86 › view all entries
Tuituia7 staff
So there it was, all trained up, all kitted up, and now all revved up!  The only problem is that I have to go home and tie up the lose ends before I can head away with a clear head.

On the 18th Feb we had to strip down our rooms, dump our two huge kit-bags at reception, return room keys, attend our final lecture, and say our farewells as we set off in small groups to Wellington airport, where we would catch our planes back to our homes throughout the country.
  My own plane was not due to leave until mid-afternoon so when my van headed away from the college I knew I'd be left hanging at the airport for a few hours.  For me that's always a dangerous time as I spend it flicking through the CD and DVD racks at the airport music store.
I'm ready to go NOW!
  If I come out of any music store with less than 6 discs I'm doing very very well!

My flight back to Rotorua was good as I was surprised by an old school friend sitting opposite me.  We changed seats and spnt the rest of the trip catching up on the past 20 odd years since we'd last crossed paths.  My two bags were then tossed into the waiting shuttle and I was dropped at the station where my car was waiting and I drove back to Te Puke in time to buy my dinner.
  Having been fed all my meals over the past 17 days I wasn't going to start cooking at this time of the evening!

For the next three weeks my feet didn't really touch the ground.

I had discussed the idea of renting my house out with the neighbours and they greeted me over the fence with the news some friends of theirs were keen to move into the place as soon as I was out.
  I still had several jobs that I had intended to complete over my Christmas break, but the only break I had over Christmas was my broken ankle.  Those jobs were still awaiting my attention and couldn't really be left if I was renting the place.

Then of course there was my usual duties.  I hadn't done any driver assessments for three months!  That meant my 6 months behind was now 9 months.  The pressure was on but not so much from my boss as from myself, and the staff whose licenses had expired over the past 9 months.

I devised a plan of attack.  Unfortunately I put employment first instead of my personal work.  Perhaps I could have attended to the home jobs on my three day weekends but the problem there was that I had filled those weekends with Couchsurfers coming through my place every weekend.  I enjoyed showing the travellers around and didn't want to be rude by getting stuck into hard graft when they were sitting around watching.
  I sorted a schedule and confirmed it with my mother and my friend, who were going to help me shift my household back to Tokoroa on the 7th March.

I spent the nights of 7th and 8th sleeping on the floor of my empty abode.  I managed to get the last of the two areas of driveway concreted (with Ma's help) by the 9th March and made my way back to Tokoroa that afternoon with my car filled with the last few boxes of "stuff".

It's hard to believe I have so much clutter in my life as I worked out I have moved 9 times in the past 15 years.  It's even worse when you think that I was here in Te Puke for the past 4 1/2 years.  I need to lighten the load!!  If only I could stop buying CDs!!!
goezi says:
True! I've got all three houses rented now so when I finish here I'll have 11 bedrooms and no fixed abode.
Luckily I'm taking 5 weeks to travel home through Australia then planning a trip to the Americas from August to Christmas.
Posted on: May 05, 2010
hoofinnit says:
I have been through a similiar experince trying to sort out my condo and all belongings so I could leave the country. Not so much fun, so the couchsurfers probably helped you to keep your sanity!
Posted on: May 04, 2010
goezi says:
Yes they were! All good!
Posted on: Jul 04, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Tuituia7 staff
Tuituia7 staff
Im ready to go NOW!
I'm ready to go NOW!
Te Puke
photo by: goezi