Medal parades by nation

Dili Travel Blog

Timorese cultural group

Being so far from home means the “family” atmosphere of the mission is very important, none more so than the bond within a contingent.

One of the regular events here in Dili is the issuing of service medals to each contingent as they roll through their mission period before returning to their homes.  I have already described my own NZ medal parade but have also been lucky enough, because of my position, to have received invitations to several other contingents parades.

Each parade is different depending on the traditions from that country and of course, how much of a budget they have to lay it all on.  NZ hosted a simple morning tea and presented a video of our country and wowed the crowd with our Maori haka.

Today I attended the Chinese medal Parade thanks to my staff member Hu being a Chinese Superintendant.  It was put on at the newly opened Chinese Embassy on Beach Road just along from the Esplanada.

Calligraphy by Chinese UNPol
  We were welcomed by the contingent outside the building and entertained by a Timorese cultural group –very nice.

Once inside we saw a promotional film of China before hearing the speeches from all the dignitaries.  After the formal presentation of medals we were all entertained by Chinese cultural demonstrations like a fan dance (Tai Chi), calligraphy and a song from the whole contingent.  The event was then capped off by lunch –perfect!

I have been to Singapore’s medal parade and they had a lavish affair with dinner, a live band and gifts for us all.  Turkey also presented us with tokens from their country and provided lunch for us all.

The same VIPs speak at each parade and I must say the UNPol Commissioner always does a fine job of recognising those staff who make important contributions to the mission.  Thanks for this of course go to his little Japanese assistant, Seki.  She’s a real dynamo and I have joked with her in the past about her hyperactivity but she is a very competent woman and the Commissioner’s speeches are always worth hearing as they relate to the work done by contingent members.

I’m sorry to say I have missed a couple of parades I have been invited to but they are usually during work hours and I have my workload and deadlines to consider first.  I would have liked to have been able to attend the Nepalese parade.  They are a small contingent but seem to be working in most places NZers are deployed.

I’m sure I will receive a few more invitations before my time is up next June, of course I will have a second medal parade of my own to attend before that month arrives.  I tell you more about that then.

Timorese cultural group
Tai Chi Fan Dance by two Chinese U…
Tai Chi Fan Dance by two Chinese …
Calligraphy by Chinese UNPol
Singapore celebrate the world of t…
Singapore celebrate the world of …
Tim likes my joke