Lunchtime in Liquica

Liquica Travel Blog

Rio de Lols riverhouse

Hu was driving.  Unfortunately he was driving as badly as only he knows how.  I had become tired of his speeding through the villages and poor overtaking decisions and finally I told him if I had to speak to him again I would take the wheel.  He agreed, I think he was tired of my constant warnings but he didn’t offer up the driving job right then.

I had bigger problems to consider anyway.  While we were at Mota Ain enjoying our Indonesian coffee my language assistant Paulo had phoned to tell me that the PNTL had rung him to clear out our gear from the office.  I had suspected we would be evicted during our week away because there were plans afoot to renovate the offices in the block we were in but we had been given an assurance that the Transito office was not to be started until next January.

Obviously no crocs here

I told Paulo to grab the computers and not worry about anything else, if anything went missing I would complete offence reports about the theft of the items.  I couldn’t do any more from the other end of the country and he was telling me the PNTL weren’t interested in helping him because they were going to an office that would not house the four of us UNPol staff.  I was bitterly disappointed because I thought I had made some headway with Antonio, but I guess I was wrong.

It weighed heavy on my mind about where we would be housed but I wasn’t going to be able to do anything about it until tomorrow, right now we just had to get back to Dili.

From Bobonaro District we returned along the same coastal road we had travelled a few days earlier.  I asked Hu to stop several times to get pictures of things I had seen on our way here.  I’m not exactly sure when we crossed the district line from Bobonaro to Liquica but we thought it would be good to call into the Liquica district HQ and give training to the Traffic Chief there as well.

Coastline west toward Indonesia
  Unfortunately we arrived at the HQ at about 1pm and everyone was out of the station enjoying their 2 hour lunch hour.

I wasn’t interested in waiting around so we had a quick look at the station and continued on our way.  Liquica is less than 50km from Dili and the roads on this Western side of the city are in reasonably good repair.  We got back to Dili just after 2pm and I had all my gear unloaded and returned to the Esplanada store by 3.30pm.

The whole election experience had been fantastic.  I though about the decisions I had made and how I might have done things differently but on the whole I was pleased it had all gone as well as it had.

I guess looking at it now the most apparent danger I had faced was from Hu’s driving.  Spending 39 hours up the Bobonaro mountain could have been a lot worse if all the fears of UNPol were realised but then my being on my own, the lack of vehicle, radio and local knowledge would have ensured a swift resolution so there would be no point at all in worrying myself about what might happen.

Looking back now I can say it was a great few days and my one regret is that I didn’t dance at the all night party.

Coastline