Last day in paradise

Dili Travel Blog

Interview panel for my replacement

Tomorrow morning at 8am we should have met the 15 newly arrived Kiwis and challenged them with our haka to do as good, or better than we have achieved here in TL.  They should accept that challenge by performing their own haka and we will greet them down the line with handshakes and hongi (touching of our noses) as we file past and onto the plane.

A few minutes later and my 361 days of working on NZ Police Operation Tuituia 8, 9 and 10 will be completed.  In 6 weeks time we will gather at the Royal New Zealand Police College (RNZPC) for a debrief and medical assessment.  During the debrief we will discuss with NZ Police management any difficulties that we faced and any aspects of the operation that could be improved for those in the future.  We will also receive medals for our services.

As a member of the RNZPC staff I will visit my boss and discuss with him my future plans; 2 years leave without pay LWOP).  This is a terrific opportunity NZ Police offer to staff.  This job can be taxing in many ways and it's nice to be able to take a break from the shadier side of humanity and see the world through "normal" eyes for a change.

This will be my second period of LWOP in my 22 year career, the previous being in 1992-3 (see my blog for Europe over that period) was a fantastic break.  This one is more of a lifestyle test though.  I will trial life on the road, without a means of income, to see if I can live frugally enough (but still find some adventure) to retire from the police altogether.

The next 4 weeks will be in Australia as I make my way home.  A couple of weeks in NZ unpacking bags, attending the debrief, applying for new passports and visas and making arrangements for the next travel adventure to the Americas as soon as these things are complete (hopefully before end of August).

Although I have flagged several locations through Aussie and the Americas there is no real plan.  The first step is just to get to Darwin and out of Timor Leste.  What happens after that might be a whole new story.

goezi says:
Thanks Hadi.
Posted on: Jun 29, 2010
Hadi25 says:
Wow ... U Gonna Miss Timor Leste I Guess ... But These Blogs Are Great To be Documented If Possible In A Book ... Haha ...
Great Pics & Nice Writing ...
Posted on: Jun 28, 2010