IDP - Internally Displaced Persons (or Policemen?)

Dili Travel Blog

Just a shell

I arranged for Paulo to meet us at PNTL HQ at 8am.  I had to go to the Transito Office to see exactly what had happened when we were evicted.  The place was empty except for a couple of maps on the walls.  I grabbed those as we often referred to them when talking about locations of fatal crashes etc.

Paulo was stressed.  He had done it tough and was not pleased about the whole affair.  In his opinion my PNTL colleague was pleased to have us out of their hair and although they had helped him by ringing him about the move they had offered no assistance in shifting the furniture as they were doing their own.

Extensions on both ends
  Paulo had done a great job though and again I was pleased that we had such a great worker attached to our unit, some of the other LAs wouldn't have handled this so well.

All the gear was in storage at Comoro station.  The PNTL gear was there as well but they had found an office at Macado Lama patrol base and were all set.  I wanted to discuss the issue with Antonio so we headed there but it was obvious they were happy with their space and the three of us would mean they would lose some of that, whether Paulo was right about them not wanting UNPol working with them was not something I could gauge due to language and cultural differences but Paulo was certainly unhappy about Antonio's attitude.  At the end of the day I was still the one in charge of traffic in this country until UNPol handed control back to PNTL.  That's not going to happen unless we work together a whole lot more so I'm relaxed about how things sit right now.  Of the 17 PNTL Traffic Chiefs there are only 3, maybe 4 that are performing their duties to an acceptable level to take control, the rest of the positions are totally disfunctional and my hope to have them learning their roles by the time I leave in June just took a step backwards.

Induction Training room -2nd move

Our next port of call was the Comoro station.  We arranged to meet PNTL Traffic Chief of Admin, Petrolina, there with the key to the room with all our gear.  It seemed everything was there, the desks were looking worse for wear but at least our computers were secure (the UN has a policy of "you lose it, you buy it).

Paulo and I discussed space with the station supervisor.  In my opinion there was ample room for us to set up here, which Lim and Hu were constantly suggesting, but I was mindful of our need to be co-located with our PNTL colleagues and that was what I was focussed on.  We returned to PNTL HQ to discuss what had happened with my immediate boss, Chief of Operations.

He and his deputy had no idea this had happened.  There had been several offices emptied over the past few weeks and all of them had happened without planning or warning.

Crocodile Alley office -home for the rest of 2009
  One of the problems of administration with PNTL is they are advised something needs doing or money is available and a decision is immediately made without any plan.  I guess that's why we are here trying to capacity build but it seems to me if UNPol have any influence at all it is of small or no significance, bad decisions are still made on a weekly basis!  I must keep reminding myself "good things take time".

It took us 13 days and three moves by the time we were finally given an office that we could stay in until we return to PNTL HQ after the Transito office refurbishment.  Call me a cynic but I’m still not convinced we will be returning to the office with our partners from PNTL NTD.  I’d like to think they value my input but it’s difficult to say for sure.

In the meantime I’ll continue to work my 49 hour weeks doing my best for the cause, at the end of my mission I will be able to say I gave 100% and offered what I could to the rebuilding of the nation and it’s Police Department.  That’s the best I can do and why I came here after all.

Sad state right now
Sad state right now
Induction Training room -2nd move
Crocodile Alley office -home for t…
Crocodile Alley office -home for …
Dili