G'day Cobber! (Hello my friend.)

Sydney Travel Blog

Harbour Bridge

The next part was the overnight flight from Darwin to Sydney.  Not only was this a wholly dark-time flight but we lose a few hours of the day as we make our way in reverse around the globe.  I managed to get about an hour of shut-eye so as I got off the plane at the Sydney airport I was somewhat groggy and missed my friend Lisa waiting for me in the arrivals lounge.

I'm always a bit confused about coming off domestic flights anyway because I travel more on international flights and this business of bag searching etc always reminds me of international so walking from the plane to the street without immigration or border control in between leaves me feeling like I've forgotten something.

Mmm, bubbly!

Lisa and I haven't seen each other for a couple of years.  We were at school together and the last time I stayed with her was in 2006 when I visited Aus for my Grandmother's 90th and then went to Bali.  She happily welcomed me into her home with just a smidgeon of hesitation due to the new family kitten and her knowledge of my dislike of anything small and furry climbing over me (fur need not be the only issue, see previous entry about monster ants).

My intention was to relax for the two weeks.  I have been working solidly in Timor Leste for 6 months and I was starting to wilt.  The only thing Lisa had planned for my stay was a Fleetwood Mac concert and I had already told her I'd be excited by that.

The concert was on Monday night so we spent the weekend catching up on our gossip (and me catching up on my sleep).  I also met her family, including kitten, and then the first week was my time to chillax while they were all doing their work and school things.

Monday afternoon she came home early from work and we took the train into the Olympic Stadium where Fleetwood Mac would rock the house –or the Acer Arena at least.

Heading in for Fleetwood Mac
  There were a couple of train changes but we arrived at the stadium along with a good mix of people from young fans and old hippies who might have been the young fans parents.

The area was untidy as we approached the arena.  The V8 street races had just been held and there were grandstands and barriers being dismantled all over the place.  We had listened to some of the chatter about it on the radio over the weekend but not come down to see any of the racing.  It looked like it had been an exciting event for Sydney.

Once inside the arena we wandered around to find the door leading to our seats.  We were high up in the gods so we decided to have dinner at one of the food halls.  The old theory about never eating at airports rings true for event venues as well.  Monopoly means money and our sandwiches and drinks almost broke the bank.  Some might say it was poor planning on my behalf since I didn’t take my own sandwiches but to get into the venue we went through the usual bag searches and you just never know what they will or won’t let you enter with.

A Lindsay Buckingham guitar break

The concert was great though and at the end of it we wandered out with Fleetwood Mac tunes in our heads and ringing in our ears.  Yes, there was nothing in our pockets but it was worth every penny!

As I said the rest of the time was all about relaxing.  I wasn’t interested in doing much so when the first week was over and Lisa had the week off we did a little Christmas shopping, (well she shopped, I walked around near by); we put up the Christmas tree with the kids (well they put it up, the cat interfered and I took photos from the couch); and we drank a whole packet of top quality East Timor coffee that I had brought over with me (that I did get very involved in!).

Sydney driving
Sydney driving
A Lindsay Buckingham guitar break
Riding the chicka-train yeah!  Oh,…
Riding the chicka-train yeah! Oh…
Mmm, barbeque!
Mmm, barbeque!
An hour on the train and still no …
An hour on the train and still no…
Sydney