Dili Living

Dili Travel Blog

Aquatic baby almost swims better than me. This 1 year old and his parents are regulars in the hotel pool.

Dili has been good to me for the past 10 days but I realise that I have now settled into the routine of my time here in Timor Leste.

Bit of a downpour over the weekend

Up at 6.40am.  Ablutions.

Up to the restaurant for breakfast (muesli, orange juice, coffee).

Back to my room to gather my things for work and out to the road by 7.50am.

Picked up by Lim (Malaysian in my office).  Into PNTL HQ by 8.05am.

Work.

12 noon into truck and back to Esplanada for lunch (usually bacon, egg and tomato toasted sandwich with lemonade).

Down to my room for an hour, playing senselessly on computer.

2pm collected by Lim and back to HQ.

Work.

5pm Esplanada.  Change out of uniform and into bathers.

Caught in a spot of rain
  Into the pool for 45mins.

Dress for dinner about 6.30 or 7pm (something different every night.  Have favourites so I still haven’t gone through the whole menu yet �"there’s time!).

Finish dinner (after apple crumble and ice cream usually).

Down to room about 8pm and here I am getting frustrated by the sporadic internet connection.  If it disconnects too often I watch some of the TV programs I have on my hard drive.

Sleep about 10.30pm to about 5.45am and wait for the alarm so I can do it all again.

I have come to grips with my daily work.  I’m aware that I may have to ask for more staff and my own vehicle if I am to achieve all the things expected of me.

I have developed a good working relationship with the Departmental Director whom I am mentoring.  The other day I put on a morning tea for the 17 PNTL staff  so that we could meet each other on easy terms.  Everyone seemed to appreciate the coffee and donuts but language is always going to be an issue.

Drain outside PNTL HQ

I sought registration for classes in Tetum but it seems there are to no more for we UNPOL until September.  The UN has a whole swag of volunteers who have just arrived and they are top priority.

A couple of nights we’ve been out for dinner to local restaurants.  The menu at Esplanada can be very monotonous so we go out every week.  Everything in Timor Leste is expensive.  The country seems to be thriving on the cash paid to UN staff.

If you look at my review of Esplanada you’ll see I have said it’s averagely priced, but that’s average for here.  A room for the night is US$110 and the average main course at a meal is US$11.  There’s nothing special about any of it, just the fact that the prices reflect the money in the city right now.  Out in the districts it’s a different story, a box of 12lts of water is US$5 and a good lunch would set you back US$2.

This is not the country to come back-packing yet.  I suggest everyone stops at Bali for now.  In 10 years time this place will be giving Bali a run for it’s money I hope!

Aquatic baby almost swims better t…
Aquatic baby almost swims better …
Leafy vegetable grown in drain