Where are all the Non-Seedy Travellers?

Cebu Travel Blog

What the hell?!

My phone was vibrating right before my head.  It felt like I’d only just fallen asleep and it was still dark.  No way could the alarm be going off at this time.  It wasn’t the alarm.  The please sound of Z-Cars (the music Everton FC players come running out of the tunnel to at home games) was ringing out at 3:45am saying I’ve got a call.  It was Najiah, the beeeatch, drunk dialling.  She’d made it back to Manila and was out on a night out with JeAr, Sarj, Audrey, Alex, and Arran.  It was so funny listening to all their drunken rants, and seen as I was a bit too tired/shocked to speak, I just listened and giggled instead.  I don’t anyone pieced together a complete sentence, but I reckon Audrey was the most comprehensible and I think she said something about meeshing me.  I wasn’t sure what meeshing was, but I do hope it was complimentary unlike the other sounds.  I think the others want to mush their grumpurr or something.  It all sounded a bit unfair to me, and I had no idea what a grumpurr was/is, but I do feel sorry for it; it sounded like he/she/it was in for some carnage sooner rather than later.

Oh, it was nice to hear from them all and I was glad they were having fun.  After the interruption, I rolled over and fell sound asleep again, a little bit flattered actually.

When the alarm actually went off at 6:45am, I had to use the snooze option.  6:45am soon became 8:30am and I got up.  I really wanted to see the tarsiers before I left Bohol, and so I went back over to Dau station to catch a bus to Sikatuna.  As I was a bit pushed for time, I rented a habal habal (a moped with an extended passenger seat) and the only thing that could stop me now was nature.  Nature had a go by forcing us to stop and take shelter, but without enough commitment, we continued when it slowed.

Once at the Tarsier sanctuary I paid the very cheap price for a guide (it is a voluntary organisation and relies more on donations) and was shown around the main territories of the residents. They’re such cute little critters and are very territorial.  Such so that they are found rarely in each others proximity.

The guide took me around slowly and used his experienced eagle eye to point out the shy, palm-sized primate.  If you move with a very slow, unthreatening fashion, you can actually get up really close to them, but their big bug eyes will never lose track of what you are doing.  They weren’t intimidated by me and I managed to get some photos I was really pleased with.

I saw a mother with a baby high up in the tree and was lucky enough to see a dominant male jumping around from branch to branch.  Apparently that is an extremely rare sight as they are normally quite docile and they are a nocturnal species.

The sanctuary has ten (at time of writing) tarsiers in total and you can see they are well guarded and looked after.  I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and was delighted to have got it in before jetting off back to Cebu.

There’s no reason for the pressure of extinction for these small primates as they are a strict carnivore, living off insects and bugs, and so realistically they offer farmers a symbiotic relationship.  Unfortunately deforestation and habitat loss is causing them the problems, and they are on the endangered species list.  Thankfully Bohol has the world’s largest population of tarsiers, though not exclusive, and so they are under an immediate threat of extinction.

I left Bohol content with my time there and made my way to Cebu.  On arrival I noticed that there seemed to be a lot more poverty there, but it felt quite safe on the whole.  I had given up on taxis though, and chose to find a hotel whilst lugging the backpack around.

After finding somewhere, I went back downtown to have a look at the fort.  It seemed everywhere I went, I was getting yelled at “Hello honey”.  I called it Whiteman syndrome and when I looked in the mirror, my reflection was identical to this $ $ $.

I found Fort San Pedro (established by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi in 1565), and it is thought to be named after Fernando Magellan’s flagship.  This was the start of the Spanish colony of Cebu.

It’s triangular in shape and is one of only a few touristy places I found in Cebu City.  I had a look around, but once again, I found the only other tourists present were Japanese or the filthy old buggers, so I quickly gave up the notion the I might actually meet a few like minded travellers.  I didn’t bother me much and I was content to spend the evening with the internet and iPod.

najiah10 says:
oh yes, that night we "mussshh yurrr grumpurrr"! holy crap that paragraph cracked me up. :D
Posted on: Nov 03, 2009