We're Here!!!

Bangkok Travel Blog

I would say we caught a quick taxi to transfer to the other Bangkok airport on arrival, but there is no such thing given Bangkok’s traffic.  We made it though and caught a connecting flight to Phuket, arriving just before sunset.

We caught a bus to Patong (the main beach) and found a hostel.  It was very cheap at ~£4 a night, but believe me, we got what we paid for!  Obviously we were without the luxury of air-conditioning and hot water, but my lop-sided bed was a bit of a problem, but not as bad as Lori’s guests – she had ants in hers!  That said, we were on a tight budget and Germany wasn’t cheap; we needed to make cut backs somewhere, so this was a start.  We did have free internet access which cheered us up a bit.

It had been a long plane ride and so we were obviously famished.  Luckily these tourist hotspots are overloaded with cheap places to eat good food.  We managed to walk as far as next door, before settling for a green curry.  We were then ready to find Batunbang Road and the nightlife.

I had visited Phuket before.  In fact it was just a few months after that globally shocking Tsunami hit the place, and so back then, everything was pretty run down and quiet to say the least.  It was a very different story this time!  The whole place was so much busier, but the hassle was still essentially the annoying same.  I really don’t want to start my trip by buying suits, messing with prostitutes, or buying more clutter I’ll never use, but of course, that’s what I was in for.  You can’t blame people for trying to make some money, but surely you can at least empathise that it’s not ideal after a long flight to be approaches every five yards with some kind of sale attempt.

I took Lori off to a few quieter bars, which happened to be the hooker bars.... seriously, it wasn’t deliberate, but at least we could get a bit of peace after some girls (or possibly boys) understood that no meant no.  We sat and drank, played some Connect 4, and attempted to hammer the nail into the log via direct hits, only to get whooped on all accounts.  We left for the main road again once we felt the second wind kick in.

I had to watch my frivolity with the money after Germany, but that rule didn’t last long at all!  We sat down at a bar on the main road and got talking to a guy from the states.  He was travelling solo so we invited him to join us for the evening.  He was a decent guy and kept buying drinks >.<  Now I’m English and buying drinks means to mean, going rounds!  I was smashed and had been awake for over 40 hours!  Not cool, not cool at all.  I think if I remember rightly, he asked if me and Lori were together and then for permission to chat her up.  I don’t Lori enjoying a significantly older man trying it on, so we called it a day, well morning; it was 5am!

matthew says:
still the same mate. I've been twice now and I think that's enough for me
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009
derekbilldaly says:
I was in Phuket just before the Tsunami and didnt think much of the place, but then again, every bar seemed to be a hooker/ladyboy/ladyboy hooker bar back then!!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009