Short-term Goodbyes

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

 › entry 46 of 121 › view all entries

Awww, this was a sad morning.  The end of an era.  With Najiah leaving yesterday; today was the last of our little group to split off and Mark flew back to Singapore and JeAr left for Bangkok.  That left just myself and Lori.  Jay had been travelling with us since Koh Pha Ngan, and Mark since Chiang Mai.  I felt a touch lonely after this, but at least I still had the Camerican for company, so not a complete end to a TB travel just yet. 


We decided to have another really lazy recovery day as we were both a bit ill and tired.  Days like this, the internet does help to bring you back around, and after a while, I took a walk along the Nam Khan River and I met Lori back at the hotel.  The poor girl was still feeling like garbage, but she was good enough just to get on with it, and climb Phousi Mountain to see the Phousi temple at the top (not actually as bad a climb as it sounds, but not great with a jippy belly nether-the-less).


I wanted to be there for the sunset, but as it was quite cloudy, there was little point hanging around longer than necessary.  The climb to the temple had been up quite a few steep steps, and when you get there, you find it is spread out quite widely.  The first thing you will see is a huge horizontal Buddha amongst smaller Buddhas, each dedicated to a day of the week.  We then climbed another 300 and something steps to the highest point and enjoyed some stunning views of Luang Prabang, the Mekong River, and the Nam Khan River.  Timing was perfect for the daily ritual of rhythmically beating the drum.


There is another section of the temple which we visited, and this is the Buddha’s footprint.  The monks have built a room to cover a rock formation which bears a resemblance to a huge footprint, and now they have a shine for it. 


As far as temples go, I quite liked this one, mainly for the views and the variation inside it’s many room and passages.  It’s one of Luang Prabang trade marks, and so I was happy to visit.  However, after that, we really couldn’t handle much more, and so food and back to the hotel was just about all we could must.  We did make one last detour though, and this (after convincing Lori) was to book a flight to Ha Noi and avoid another long bus journey like the ones previously experienced.  That one would otherwise have been a painful 7 hours back to Vientiane and then a further 24 hours to Ha Noi, no thank you.

lovely_lori88 says:
my company is awesome dude!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2009
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Luang Prabang
photo by: oxangu2